cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trunking

mjshepard1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I am trying to figure out how to trunk between a catalyst 2950 and a 1900 ..I've either overlooked something in my book or else am missing the whole thing..any and all help greatly appreciated..

thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

The 2950 switch only does 802.1Q trunking. The 1900 switch only does ISL trunking

(supports up to two Fast Ethernet ISL trunks, does not support 802.1Q) so we cannot trunk

directly between the 2950 and the 1900 switch.

Unfortunately, there is no configuration

that we can do to make them "trunk". The only way to implement vlan mangement between

these two platforms is by physically

connecting links equal to the number of vlan's configured on the switches to carry

different vlan traffic. Obviously, this could only be a workaround and not very scalable

due to physical port limitation.

Regards,

Jagdeep

Note : If that helps then please mark this thread as solved, so that others can benefit from it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

A couple of commands, like the one shown below, on interfaces connecting both switches should get the basic trunk going. Thereafter any configuration can be used to fine tune the trunk.

int f0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

You can use dot1q or ISL as the trunk encapsulation type.

HTH

Sundar

here is the issue with these two switches...the 1900 only does ISL and not the DOT1Q and the 2950 does DOT1Q so am at a mega loss here...this is for my CCNA studies thus the questions

The 1900 will only do ISL trunking, and only on the 100baseT ports. (You can't ever form a trunk on 10baseT ports).

HTH,

Paul

true and 10baseT is way to slow to trunk off anyways...lol give me bandwidth!!

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

The 2950 switch only does 802.1Q trunking. The 1900 switch only does ISL trunking

(supports up to two Fast Ethernet ISL trunks, does not support 802.1Q) so we cannot trunk

directly between the 2950 and the 1900 switch.

Unfortunately, there is no configuration

that we can do to make them "trunk". The only way to implement vlan mangement between

these two platforms is by physically

connecting links equal to the number of vlan's configured on the switches to carry

different vlan traffic. Obviously, this could only be a workaround and not very scalable

due to physical port limitation.

Regards,

Jagdeep

Note : If that helps then please mark this thread as solved, so that others can benefit from it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: