Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about how many SNMP trap hosts I can configure on Catalyst 6500

snakayama
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I configured seven SNMP trap hosts on SUP2 and MSFC2 on Catalyst 6500.

SUP2: CatOS 8.2(2)

MSFC2: 12.1(13)E14

After configured seven SNMP trap hosts on SUP2 and MSFC2, any SNMP trap are not generated from SUP2 and MSFC2. Before configuring seven SNMP trap hosts on SUP2 and MSFC2, SUP2 and MSFC2 were configured five SNMP trap hosts and at that time SUP2 and MSFC2 sent SNMP trap to five hosts correctly.

So I researched about how many SNMP trap hosts are supported on SUP2 and MSFC2 on CCO but I could not find the answer for this question. However, I could find the following answer about this question for CSS in the CSS Administration Guide.

"You can configure up to five trap hosts per SNMP agent; that is, one agent can report to a maximum of five hosts."

So I guess SUP2 and MSFC2 have similar restriction of the number of SNMP trap hosts can be configured regardless of software version, however I can not find the answer.

Do SUP2 and MSFC2 support up to five SNMP trap hosts as well as CSS ?

Would you please let me know if you have the answer for this question ?

Best regards,

Shinichi

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no hard limit, but practically, we recommend no more than two or three. If you need more trap destinations than that, one of the configured destinations should be a trap exploder or forwarder that can relay the trap to multiple destinations. This keeps the management overhead small on the network devices.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

According to information from you, I should configure two or three SNMP hosts to keep the management overhead small. I agree with you.

However I do not understand the relation between your information and no transmission of SNMP trap actually.

Does this problem might be caused due to the software defect ? or Does SUP2 and MSFC2 might stop intentionally sending SNMP trap for the purpose of reducing management overhead ?

Your information would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Shinichi

You did not ask about why the devices were not sending traps before, only about the number of trap destinations.

The problem does sound like a bug, but I find it odd that both a CatOS and an IOS device are affected by the exact same problem at the exact same time. It might be better to focus on the MSFC, and look at a debug snmp packet to see why the trap no longer go out when you configure seven trap destinations. You should also drop this down to six, and see if the problem persists there as well.

Thank you very much for your reply

First of all, You are correct. I did not ask about why SNMP traps are not sent to seven before.

I will test it in my lab to confirm how to become it.

Best regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: