Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory malloc failure in every device at the same time

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all

I'm facing a very strange problem in my network.

Almost every router and switch in my LAN is suffering at the same time a "%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation" problem. Process= "Pool Manager".

It could be a huge broadcast or virus, or DoS attack?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Beloe is the Meaning of the error which you u got in u r network.

1. %SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of [dec] bytes failed from [hex], alignment [dec] \nPool: [chars] Free: [dec] Cause: [chars] Alternate Pool: [chars] Free: [dec] Cause: [chars] \n

The requested memory allocation is not available from the specified memory pool. The router memory has been exhausted or fragmented. This condition may be caused by the current system configuration, the network environment, or a software error.

Recommended Action: Check the minimum memory requirements for your system configuration. If your system meets those requirements, this condition is probably caused by a software failure. To take advantage of recent fixes, upgrade your system to the latest Cisco IOS software release in your release train.

check below link...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a6f3a.shtml

Thanks,

Satish

Thanks for your reply.

I have already read that document but how this could happen in several devices at the same time?

wangjing0120
Level 1
Level 1

Network Gurus,

We have also encountered this. Total of 8 switches (2 3550-12G & 8 3550-48) in a span of 15 seconds all have an entry in the syslog server with SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL.

Your take?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: