Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS Configurations - 6509

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I just want to ask how a CatOS switch saves its configuration. Does it save the configuration immediately after you execute a command? Where does the switch stores its configuration? Here's my show config mode output.

System configuration mode set to binary.

Text configuration auto-save to nvram feature disabled.

Text configuration auto-save interval is set to 30 minutes.

Out Network Engineer wants to set the config mode to "set config mode text nvram." What does it mean before I do it?

Regards,

John

3 Replies 3

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The CatOS can save the configuration in 1 of two modes, when you configure the switch to use text file configuration mode, the switch stores its configuration as a text file in non-volatile storage, either in NVRAM or FLASH memory. This text file consists of commands entered by you to configure various features:

Console> (enable) set config mode

Usage: set config mode binary

set config mode text

NOTE: When the switch is operating in text file configuration mode, most user settings are not immediately saved to NVRAM. Configuration changes are written only to DRAM. You will need to enter the write memory command to store the configuration in non-volatile storage.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/7.1/configuration/guide/flash.html#wp1025004

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I already issued the config mode text nvram command. I want to revert it back to binary. Nothing bad will happen right?

-John

Hi,

I've never faced any problems toggling between both.

Catalyst switches that run CatOS by default operate in binary configuration mode. When you operate in binary configuration mode, most user settings are automatically saved to NVRAM. Text mode typically uses less NVRAM or Flash memory space than binary configuration mode.

Although you must issue the write memory command while you operate in text mode to save the configuration in NVRAM, you can use the "set config mode text auto-save" command in order to automatically save the text configuration in NVRAM.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: