cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ssh transfer of arp access-list to 3750 hang up

t.fiala
Level 1
Level 1

I need configure remotely i.a. the list about 462 lines (2 not full "c-class" IP scopes)

on the 3570 switch . Ssh protocoll transfers shorter lists well.

Transfer a longer list stops usually after the 375th line. Ssh connection

remains hung up in the idle state.

Transfer of the same list via telnet (copy-paste into the telnet window)

is always successful. But i'm afraid ssh is obligatory in this case.

One more thing : Transfer a longer list via ssh to unburdened switch is

always successful too. Any overburdening issue?

Could somebody give me a solution or workaround?

Switch used:

Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(25)SEE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3750 boot loader

BOOTLDR: C3750 Boot Loader (C3750-HBOOT-M) Version 12.1(14r)EA1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

cisco WS-C3750G-24TS (PowerPC405) processor (revision D0) with 118784K/12280K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID CAT0817N0UH

Last reset from power-on

9 Virtual Ethernet interfaces

56 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

Motherboard assembly number : 73-7058-10

Power supply part number : 341-0045-01

Motherboard serial number : CAT0816158H

Power supply serial number : LIT081204B8

Model revision number : D0

Motherboard revision number : A0

Model number : WS-C3750G-24TS-S

System serial number : CAT0817N0UH

Hardware Board Revision Number : 0x09

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can't you just tftp it from a server ? USe the following.

Use the copy {ftp: | rcp: | tftp:} system:running-config command to load a configuration file from a network server to the router's running configuration. The configuration will be added to the running configuration as if the commands were typed in the command line interface. Thus, the resulting configuration will be a combination of the previous running configuration and the loaded configuration file, with the loaded configuration file having precedence.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

leighharrison
Level 7
Level 7

This depends on what SSH client you are using.

The easiest thing to do would be to paste it in 200 lines at a time.

LH

** Please rate all posts **

Thanks Leigh.

I am sorry, I did not describe my problem in detail. Lists are generated from the database and transferred automatically at each modification using OpenSSH library from a PHP script. The number "375 lines" refers to this method. The ssh clients in MS Windows (PuTTy, Teraterm) can not be used at all. They stops after 10 lines approx. (And are not suitable for automated transfer.) TF

Hi there,

Rather than have openssh log in and paste the lines, have you considered tftp'ing the new config to running-config?

LH

Hi Leigh,

we will consider all possible methods. I would like to load the smallest necessary parts of configuration only. Your suggestion has the disadvantage we would have to keep the whole actual configuration outside the switch. I suppose there should be a more convenient solution. The more or less constant number of lines transferred successfully seems to be highly suspicious. One more thing: lists are usually loaded successfully inside a LAN , hang up occures at a greater distance only ( 7 hops Gigabit Ethernet routers). TF

Hi there,

You should be able to upload small bits of config to the router/switch via tftp on problems.

Give it a try!

LH

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can't you just tftp it from a server ? USe the following.

Use the copy {ftp: | rcp: | tftp:} system:running-config command to load a configuration file from a network server to the router's running configuration. The configuration will be added to the running configuration as if the commands were typed in the command line interface. Thus, the resulting configuration will be a combination of the previous running configuration and the loaded configuration file, with the loaded configuration file having precedence.

Thanks Glen,

it is what I was seeking for. Works perfectly.

Tomas

Hi Glen,

I've used ftp transfer, but transfer rate is

82 bytes/sec. Is it OK? The time needed for

transfer the largest list is about 5 minutes, it is nearly unusable. Do you have an advice

how to speed up the tranfer?

Regards,

Tomas

cs-a2p1#[ Kerberos V5 accepted forwarded credentials ]

copy ftp://www:web102@147.231.126.9/arp_070829_085413_200.txt test

Destination filename [test]?

Accessing ftp://www:web102@147.231.126.9/arp_070829_085413_200.txt...

Loading arp_070829_085413_200.txt !!!!!

[OK - 24572/4096 bytes]

24572 bytes copied in 300.563 secs (82 bytes/sec)

cs-a2p1#

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco