Views
Helpful
Replies

Performace Issues between Cisco and Extreme switches

michaelnolan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Has anyone came across performance issues with Cisco switches working with Extreme Black Diamonds 6808 switches.

Are there known trunk issues or encapsulation issues?

Regards,

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

I did have an extreme summit switch connected to cisco switch and was working fine without any issues.

But i always feel if there is no need for extending the same VLANs, then it is better to go with a L3 link between them

Narayan

Many thanks for the feedback.

In your scenario, did you have L2 with 2 or more VLAN's running between the switches on a single Gigabit interface?

The problem I see is that for example FTP traffic in from host on Cisco switch to host on Extreme switch appears to be ok, performance ok but traffic coming back from host on Extreme switch to host on Cisco switch is very very slow.

Cisco config:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

Extreme switch config:

configure vlan "x" add port 3:8 tagged

configure vlan "y" add port 3:6 tagged

Hope that makes sense

Many thanks for the feedback.

In your scenario, did you have L2 with 2 or more VLAN's running between the switches on a single Gigabit interface?

The problem I see is that for example FTP traffic in from host on Cisco switch to host on Extreme switch appears to be ok, performance ok but traffic coming back from host on Extreme switch to host on Cisco switch is very very slow.

Cisco config:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

Extreme switch config:

configure vlan "x" add port 3:8 tagged

configure vlan "y" add port 3:6 tagged

Hope that makes sense

Hi

I did have l2 vlans spanned across but as i said earlier i did convert the link to an L3 link.

This may not be a solution in your case.

Try to sniff the packets to get some clue

Narayan

rsharifi
Level 1
Level 1

In our network, we have a mixchure of Cisco and Extreme swithes that includes 48si, 3804, 6504 and 6509. I have not had this issue, but have had problems with trunking between these venders. How about duplex mismatch?

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: