cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Additional ethernet port in 2811

dan.tesch
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a 2811 and an additional e-net card. I have been looking through the command line options but can't seem to find the correct syntax or command group to add the int.

Should the interface just show up after a reload but in the shutdown state? possible my card is not working?

I tried doing a sh interfaces but it is not there, I'm thinking I need to define it somewhere first. I have a T1 card due to arrive so I'm sure I'll have to use a similar command to add that as well.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

please upgrade your image, the minimum is 12.4(11)XJ:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The module should automatically be displayed in your config as the router will auto-detect it.

If you reboot the router, it should display a warning message as to why the module is not loading properly.

What module (part number) are we dealing with here ?

I was not looking at the console while it was booting so I didn't see - I was trying to config via ssh. I will look at the console and see if anything pops out.

The module is HWIC-1FE.

Hi,

please upgrade your image, the minimum is 12.4(11)XJ:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html

When you say "image", you mean the ROM? mine shipped with 12.4(13r)T and IOS 12.4(3g). Am I confused? that is what I'm seeing with a sh ver.

Hi, "image" is another name for the file that contains IOS, the one you have does not support the new WIC so you have to upgrade.

I will pull down the update but, doesn't it seem unusual that a company like Cisco would sell a multi-slot unit like this and ship it with a software version that doesn't support an add-in card?

Not unsual. All the new hardware and software features are introduced only in certain "software trains" like the the "T" one or "X" platform-specific releases.

The reason is to minimize side effects on older software in the attempt to maximize stability.

New routers are shipped with these "older" release unless the customer specify otherwise.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

Thanks for the help p.bevilacqua, updating the image now shows additional interface and sh diag did show the card but inactive.

Thanks again.

I was not looking at the console while it was booting so I didn't see - I was trying to config via ssh. I will look at the console and see if anything pops out.

The module is HWIC-1FE.

Hi,

If you do "show diag" you should see the module present and deactivated due to incompatible IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: