Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"mailq" equivalent in AsyncOS

(apologies if this makes it onto the forum twice)

We have a 2-member C300 cluster than currently processes
incoming e-mail for about 30,000 people.

While I welcome the arrival of the oldmessage/showmessage/
removemessage commands in release 5.0, I'm still waiting for
the Sendmail/Postfix 'mailq' equivalent, able to summarize the
queue contents (MID, sender, recipient(s), size, arrival date)
before feeling comfortable promoting the IronPorts as 'outgoing
mail relays' or smarthosts.

Is there any chance of a similar command being added in a future
release ?

6 Replies 6

Eluyten,

I can't say that I've used 'mailq' before but have you tried the showrecipients command via the IronPort CLI. It might do the trick.

Sincerely,

Jay Bivens
IronPort Systems

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Jay,

"mailq" is a sendmail command that prints out the entire contents of the mail queue. The qmail equivalent (if you're familiar with qmail) is "qmail-qread".

Eluyten,

As far as I have been able to tell, there is no documented AsyncOS command for doing this. A little bird once whispered in my ear that there might be a hidden command to accomplish this, but hidden commands aren't very helpful to the rest of us. Another little bird more recently whispered in my ear that this functionality might be made public in an upcoming release of AsyncOS.

But really, I wouldn't worry about it. You may not be able to examine every single message in the queue, but you can use existing commands like "tophosts" to spot particular domains which are being troublesome. That has so far always proven to be good enough for us.

With that said it sounds like you want the 'showrecipients' command. That will do the trick.

Sincerely,

Jay Bivens
IronPort Systems

Buddy_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately.... The showrecipients command is limited to 1,000 entries. :(

We've entered a feature request (#466) to give us an option to allow the entire mail queue to be displayed, but we haven't heard anything on it's status for awhile now.

Buddy,

Although it might not address all situations you could combine what dlnash stated and use 'tophost' or Outgoing Mail Delivery (in the WebUI) to find problem destination domains and restrict the command to the domain or sender e-mail address in question.

But you are correct it is limited to 1000 entries.

Sincerely,

Jay Bivens
IronPort Systems

To Jay : indeed, the output of 'showrecipients' gets us started really well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: