cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Silent install of Cisco Network Assistant

siocnarf1
Level 1
Level 1

What commandline should I use to install the software unattend and silently?

I tried /s /v"/qn" or /s or /q with no success.

5 Replies 5

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

I think you have to create an oem.ini file containing only the part that configures silent mode. In this file, you turn Silent Mode on, identify the pathname and folder to contain the software, and reboot the system, all without user interaction. A sample oem.ini file for implementing silent mode follows:

[Default]

SilentMode = 1

InstallPath = C:\Program Files\Engineering\

DefGroup = CNA users

Reboot = 1

Where did you took that information?

aborole
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The silent install is not officially tested/supported for CNA but you could try invoking the executable from command line using "-silent" which is generally supported on installshield installers

I already did it. I cannot believe, it is not possible.

Gordon Fecyk
Level 1
Level 1

Is this seriously a problem after nine years?

Back in 2012 I converted the CNA 5.8 kit into a Windows Installer package so I could do unattended installations. I also had to add a post-install script to change some folder permissions to accommodate User Account Control prompts and local non-admin user accounts on Windows. Did the same thing in 2014 with the 5.8.9 kit.

It looks like I'll have to do this again with the 6.3 kit. I'd distribute the resulting kit but I think Cisco would take exception to that.

For anyone with a Windows Installer builder of their own, it's pretty easy to make a kit from the installation source. The installer just needs to add a shortcut to prelaunch.exe in .\utilities\prelaunch, and add a post-install script that grants Modify permissions to the installation folder for BUILTIN\Users.

Or Cisco could spend $300 or less for someone's MSI builder and roll their own.

--

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: