cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity cold standby and DIRT restore

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

We have a production Unity 4.0.4 box in the office and a cold standby Unity 4.0.4 server located in a DR site several hundred miles away. The box in the DR site is off line, and addressed with the same address as the production box.

We would like to be able to back up the production Unity box about once a week or so, and do a restore onto the cold standby to keep it loosely up to date. The first time we we ran DIRT, this worked fine. The second time DIRT refused to restore claiming the box wasn't clean.

We aren't using a primary and failover because this is a VM situation and the user mailboxes would be lost. We need to be able to bring up the DR system with the user mailboxes on board.

There is no way we can wipe this box and reload it once a week. The machines are not identical hardware and are too far apart for swapping drives to be an option.

What's the best way to handle this issue? How does one keep a cold standby up to date since DIRT won't allow you to install on what it calls an unclean box? Jeff, I get why DIRT does this, but is there some sort of reset switch we could throw to wipe it back to a clean state without having to wipe and reload the entire box? It is my understanding Cisco supports a cold standby server (and this one is fully licensed as a regular server), so I'm puzzled as to how to bring it up to date.

Appreciation in advance for a workable solution.

1 Reply 1

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

Found the command line switches to allow a dirty restore to accomplish this. However, during the restore, it threw a dialog box up indicating a problem with cmbRestore permissions. Not sure what this means. Hit okay, and it seemed to complete correctly. The error log had the following entry:

EMS Backup data found - checking for local install.

EMS files being restored to d:\CommServer\utilities\EventMontitoringService\database\ (error) in cmbRestore routine: number= 0

Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: