Helpful
Replies

OSPF - Automatic Failover of links

Amin Shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Plz Advice...

As per the attached Diagram ; I want to have automatic failover of WAN links between my Primary site to DR site.

AT PRI both the links are terminated on single Router and DR the links are terminated on different routers

I want to use OSPF in this scenario..

can u help with advice and sample configuration.

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

OSPF should work fine for this. The only problem is that you will have problem balancing the traffic over the two circuit of different speed.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

To load balance and failover should I use

EIGRP...

since my network is running all OSPF then I need to advertize EIGRP into OSPF correct

Hello,

EIGRP will NOT load balance over links of unequal speed. Even if it is written in the manual, does not work in practice and there are no know real networks using that feature.

You best choice is either to upgrade links to same speed, or manually balance based on traffic flow that you know.

Else try to set them to same metric and hope things won't go wrong.

Thanks

Can you help me to get Cisco Link sample config to accomplish my task.

Actually since you have OSPF already running is just a matter of having the "network" statements in the routers and nothing else.

You can use a single area zero for all the routers.

Your reference would be "configuring ospf" in the manual, and if you want to understand the theory, a good book on routing.

Thanks for your reply.

Which is the good book on Routing you are refering too.

If I had pick 1 book, that would be the "routing in the internet" by Huitema.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card