cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 802.11 a b g issue.

sherdilh77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi every one. we have just implemented the WPA2 encryption on all of our Wirless AP1200. For some odd reason some users including myself experiencing an issue with connection to the AP1200. When booting the laptop while the NIC card is inserted into the slot the wireless works fine but if I take the NIC out of the slot and re-insert it, it cannot connect to the AP. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

So, if I understand correctly, wireless networking works fine as long as the nic is present upon bootup, but not when removed/re-added while the computer is up.

This leads me to ask the question:

are all the devices the same hardware & software? and are configured the same?

without more details to go on, it sounds like the problem lies with the client machines and not with the AP, since the wireless network & AP are not undergoing any change.

the security mechanism lies on top of the tcp/ip stack bound to the PC nic, it may not be re-initiated even though the tcp/ip stack is once the card is reinserted. A good test of this is to try to connect to open wifi network after removing/reinserting the nic

Thank you for your quick reply. All the devices have similar images and the hardware are pretty much the same. I found out that when removing the NIC out of the slot the Wireless Configuration services stops, one has to go into the services and restart the services manually then the wirless works. But my question is what causes the services to stop?

I gather that you are using some version of windows based on your reply. Not to sound too simplistic, but I think that removing the card stops the services. Why it doesn't restart completely when the card is reinserted, encryption & all probably has something to do with the laptops' configuration.

I tend to operate mainly in a Linux world, so my windows knowledge is a bit dated. I could only speculate that it could be a local machine policy, user policy, service pack level, hardware profile setup, driver specific issue or a combination of any of the previous items.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card