cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot command not displaying in Show config, but it is displayed in show run

j.pineiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks, I am working on a Cisco 6513 access switch. it is currently in production and scheduled to be powered down on Saturday. I am checking to make sure it has the correct image and the correct boot command along with the config register. When i issue a sho boot, the image is there. When I issue a "show run" the boot command it's there. But when I issue "show config" its not. I think it will boot properly does anyone ever encounter this? Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Juan

I believe that when something shows up in show runn but not in show config that it is usually a sign that someone did a config change and did not save the config change to NVRAM. I would suggest that you do a copy run start (or write mem) and see if the boot statement then shows up in show config.

It may boot correctly anyway. It depends on what is in flash. If there is a single image then no boot statement is required and it will boot the available image. If there are multiple images the default behavior is to boot the first image. If that is the image you want then no boot command is required. But if there are multiple images and you want one of the other images then you would need a boot command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Did you write the config to NVRAM using the command 'copy run start' after configuring the 'boot system' command. If the switch is running CatOS image there is no need to write the config to NVRAM but I assume your switch is running the native IOS image.

HTH

Sundar

Hey Guys, the switch is running Cat OS. I can't copy run start,the only thing i could do would be write mem.

Here is an example of sho boot:

(enable) sho boot

BOOT variable = bootflash:cat6000-sup2k8.8-4-5.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable =

Configuration register is 0x2102

ignore-config: disabled

Here is an example os show run:

set logging level ethc 3 default

!

#ntp

set ntp client enable

set ntp server 10.17

set ntp server 10.17

set ntp server 10.17

set ntp server 10.17

set timezone EST -5 0

set summertime enable EDT

!

#set boot command

set boot config-register 0x2102

set boot system flash bootflash:cat6000-sup2k8.8-4-5.bin

!

#qos

--More--

And here is an example of sho config:

set logging level ethc 3 default

!

#ntp

set ntp client enable

set ntp server 10.17

set ntp server 10.17

set ntp server 10.17

set ntp server 10.17

set timezone EST -5 0

set summertime enable EDT

!

#qos

set qos enable

I don't think this is a problem since it has in the show boot the proper image to boot from. I am just trying to do a little due diligence before Saturday's power down. Thanks guys

With CatOS I would expect it should show the non-default config with 'show config' command. Can you try 'show config all' and see if it shows the 'boot system' command.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card