cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port VLAN Membership on VTP Client

rossua994
Level 1
Level 1

How is port VLAN membership assigned on a VTP client ? What commands should be used ? I know that VTP server switches store all the VLAN configuration so that management of this information is centralised. However, on such a VTP server switch how is the port VLAN membership assigned for a VTP client switch ? How would the VTP client switch be identified ?

Thanks for any advice.

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

On VTP clients you can't create VLANs, you must create the VLAN on the VTP server first, and the server will advertise this VLAN to the clients, and afterwards you can assign any port on the client to this VLAN via "switchport access vlan x".

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you for you reply, Mohammed. Does this mean that a VTP server does not store the assignment of ports to VLAN's for VTP client switches ? My understanding of VTP was that it was designed to save having to perform any VLAN configuration on the VTP client switches, including assigning their ports to VLAN's. This information must therefore be stored locally in NVRAM on a VTP client switch ?

Hi,

The assignment of ports to respective VLAN is a local switch property (saved as part of the configuration) and have nothing to do with VTP, VTP only exchange VLAN information and not VLAN membership.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The assignment of ports to respective VLAN is a local switch property (saved as part of the configuration) and have nothing to do with VTP, VTP only exchange VLAN information and not VLAN membership.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi, Thanks for reply. This post has resolved my issue and I was going to mark it with a red check mark but cannot see any way to do this. It only offers options to rate it on a scale of 1-5. How can I mark it with the red check mark ?

Hi Ross,

If any reply has benefited you, you can give it a rate on a scale from 1(meaning not helpful) to 5 (extremely helpful), and finally for the reply that has solved your problem you can kindly check the "Resolved my issue" check box and then press submit.

Thank you for using the rating system, it makes the forum more helpful.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card