Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick vlan interface question

jigsaw2026
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any way to keep a vlan interface up without having any active physical ports in the vlan?

Thanks,

J

9 Replies 9

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Try disabling the autostate feature you can accomplish this by using "autostate disable" (its a hidden command), the autostate feature is enabled by default, but i guess that on IOS based switches, this feature cannot be disabled.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your response - I'm pretty sure that's what I need to do, but I can't find the correct command to use. Do you know what it would be on a c3750 please?

Thank you,

J

Forgot to say it's wersion 12.2(25)

Hi,

Unfortuantely, i've confirmed that it can't be disabled on IOS based switches, only on CatOS switches using the "autostate disable" hidden command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a0080160b14.shtml#topic1

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

If you only have a single switch then it is not possible, or at least i don't know.

But If you have 2 switches linked via Trunk then your VLAN will be up regardless of any port assignment. If you have a Router on the Stick setup then change the switchport which connects to that router to be a trunk. and configure Eth port on the router with sub-interfaces. This should help.

Hope this helps !!

Shaheen

Thanks for your reply - there is actually l3 routing between switches so no trunking. I want this vlan to reside purely on one sight (where only the one switch is).

Hi,

The answer would be that you need at least one port in the VLAN in the connected state or there should be a trunk in the connected state, IMHO unfortunately no way around.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

guillaume.lab
Level 1
Level 1

In my opinion, an interface Vlan remains up as long as you do not shut it down.

Do you mean that it goes sometimes down without any reason ?

You can also use routed interface, that would avoid you to set a port in that Vlan.

Hi Guillaume,

If the SVI interface is created but the VLAN is not configured on the switch the SVI interface will be down/down, if the VLAN is created on the switch but no port assigned to this VLAN is UP/UP (or an UP/UP trunk) the SVI stays up/down.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card