Views
Helpful
Replies

Route traffic by selective tcp port ?

stuart.baker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can I route traffic on either a layer 3 device whilst being selective about the destination port ??

I have been asked if I can route all MSN Messenger traffic via another ISP route (rather than blocking it altogether), freeing up valuable bandwidth on our main web link.

I think that the port is 1863 for MSN ? is there a way of doing this ??

Cheers,

Stuart

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to implement Policy Based Routing and apply it at the ingress interface of the L3 device.

Your PBR would look like this:

ip access-list extended MSN

permit tcp any any eq 1863

route-map MSN permit 10

match ip address MSN

set ip next-hop [ISP next hop]

[ingress interface]

interface f0/0

ip policy route-map MSN

Hi EdisonOrtiz,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've tried implementing this onto both a 3750 & 3560 switch but to no avail. I don't seem to be able to input the 'IP POLICY ROUTE-MAP MSN' statement into the desired interface, it just display's unrecognised command. So, I tried implementing it into the VLAN interface which is accepted but then I see no traffic matching the access-list.

I must be doing something silly here ...

Stu

You need to change the SDM in the switch to sdm prefer routing and then reboot.

Edsion is correct.

By default the switch run the default sdm template which does not support policy based routing.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080211379.html

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

I changed the SDM template and reloaded the switch (3750) but it still won't take the ip policy route-map statement at the required interface ??

Any ideas ?

Which image are you running on the switch,

ipbase or IP services?

Can you post sh ver and sh runn

Narayan

The policy-based routing can only be applied on routed interfaces. If you are trying to apply it on a L2 switchport interface, it won't work. You need to apply at the SVI (Switch Virtual Interface) of the respective VLAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card