cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Allow Multicast through firewall

rsohi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I require some assistance in regards to passing multicast traffic through a checkpoint firewall. We have a server which resides on a screened subnet behind a firewall on a 3750 running base image. It is the multicast source. The clients reside on the internal network. Now to allow multicast through this firewall is it as simple as allowing IGMP and allowing udp to the IP of the multicast group and the ports required? Do I have to worry about PIM? Does this make sense? Can someone help?

thx much,

Raj

3 Replies 3

rsohi
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone assist me with this please?

regards,

Raj

rsohi
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have in any experience with this? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Raj

rsohi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Raj,

In order to make this work, the firewall must be capable of doing Pim. Pim has to be configured on the interfaces along with the rendevous point (RP). IGMP must be allowed to pass through the firewall as well. Then define the multicast address and what udp ports are required to pass through.

The switch was upgraded to the enhanced image. The rendevous point was defined along with PIM. PIM was also enabled on the interfaces requiring it.

regards,

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: