bort_vern Fri, 06/22/2007 - 10:02

I too found nothing referencing this acronym. Not even at Cisco Press which is directly noted on the page "...for the latest CCENT and CCNA publications." Maybe it's something so new that it hasn't hit the other portions of the page yet.

jlhainy Fri, 06/22/2007 - 10:31

Very Interesting. I wonder if Cisco is considering giving a new cert to those who only pass one of the two CCNA tests? The new CCENT is blow the CCNA on the pyramid.

jnatt Fri, 06/22/2007 - 15:59

Guess any CCNA can claim this now:

The Cisco CCENT (Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician) certification validates the skills required for entry-level network support positions, the starting point for many successful careers in networking. Candidates should have the knowledge and skill to install, operate and troubleshoot a small enterprise branch network, including basic network security. CCENT certification is the first step toward achieving CCNA, which covers medium size enterprise branch networks with more complex connections.

jlhainy Fri, 06/22/2007 - 17:56

I am not so sure. Remember that Cisco Certifications are awarded at different levels and those levels build off of each other. For example, once CCNP is obtained, do you still advertise yourself as a CCNA and a CCNP? Or do you just say you are a CCNP because in order to be a CCNP you must first obtain your CCNA. I am thinking that the same will be for the CCENT. All those CCNA's already have their CCNA, why would they want to advertise a certification lower than what they already have? The only reason I can think of is to make it look like you have many certifications and that is a different discussion altogether.

In any cause, I find this CCENT cert kind of interesting and I actually have mixed feelings about it. I am wondering why this new cert that is actually below the CCNA is going to be offered. They already have an associate level cert, why do this other one?

mark.j.hodge Sun, 06/24/2007 - 09:23

I would suspect that CCENT would only be awarded if the 640-822 was passed ( 640-821 will *NOT* count ). It's not like it is a pre-req for any other certification, like CCNA is for CCNP etc.

Having just passed CCNA myself, I have been asking around within the Cisco World. Apparently CCNA has been getting harder over the past few years, so it makes some sense for Cisco to slot in a new "Entry" level exam. From the Cisco certifications online support site:

"CCENT will certify the practical skills required for entry-level network support positions. The new certification validates the ability to install, operate, and troubleshoot a small branch network, including configuring a router and switch, connecting to a WAN, and implementing basic network security. It is a tangible, but optional, first step in earning the CCNA certification, the foundation-level certification for networking careers. Recipients of the new certification also gain access to the Cisco Certification community, which enables them to access additional training resources and use the new CCENT logo to indicate their achievement."

Actions

This Discussion