cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Back to Back Router Setup

keyonj
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that to hook two routers up back to back you have to have cables with a DTE side and DCE side(providing clocking). Furthermore, you would choose the same correseponding cable physical interface type (i.e. 232/449/v.35).

However if you have a smart serial cable (CAB-SS-530MT) DTE and you want to hook up another router back to back, would you have to use a 232 DCE (CAB-SS-232FC)

cable?

(Also, I don't want to use one single back-to-back cable. In my case I am trying to pair up two separate cables with one side being the 530 SS DTE.)

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

srimural
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have used a smart serial at one end and other end using a serial cable. It worked fine. I do not think this should create a problem.

530 SS i am not pretty sure abt it.

Thanks

Srinath.M

Thanks for the reponse Srinath. That is good info on the serial cable. However, I am specifically interested in the other cable that mates up to the 530 Smart Serial DTE cable. I think this should be a 232 Smart Serial DCE cable, but not 100% sure.

Anyone know for sure.

Thanks.

Hi,

I don't think you can connect a rs232 cable to 530. The first is a unbalanced interface with ground on pin 7, the second is balanced with no connection at pin 7.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card