Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balance whit HSRP

garmand01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I hope someone could tell me how to balance traffic when I've configured HSRP with two 1700 routers without need to use GLBP upgrade my current IOS and platform, I've thought in configure two or more groups but I have to change addresses in the LAN that is beyond my scope and management and of course this difficult my troubleshooting in time in case a problem appear.

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm sorry but GLBP would be the only option here. What's the problem with going with GLBP ?

Could be fine if it where posibble to configure it in a 1700 platform.

I guess it is only supported for high performance platform like sw 6000 and 12000's.

or higher.

Since I give acces to my customer through the 1700 routers it musn't be a good choise to change of platform.

Thanks a lot for your anwer!.

You can configure GLBP on 1700 routers just fine.

abdel_n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

To achieve load-balancing with either HSRP or VRRP, you need to create different groups per interface or per SVI (in case of MLS), and as you mentioned it in both cases you need to distribute the virtual IP to different group of clients.

This can be done statically in each client and this is no more implemented because of the burden of this process (do you imagine hundreds of clients!!), or you can configure different DHCP servers for each group of clients to propagate the virtual IPs you have configured for each HSRP/VRRP group.

GLBP is load-balancing oriented, so all routers in the group will forward traffic, no need to configure different groups and the AVG (Active Virtual gateway) will do the work and distribute forwarders virtual MAC to clients using three different load-balancing algorithms.

So if you have not the possibility to change clients gateways, and all routers participating in the load-balancing are Cisco, as EdisonOrtiz already posted, you have to use GLBP.

According to Cisco Feature navigator http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp GLBP is supported by all 1700 router series starting from IOS 12.2T

Good work!

Abdel

Edison, abdel, thanks you two guys!

Now I have to prepare and upgrade of the IOS.

This kind of forums really works!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: