Views
Helpful
Replies

7960 Passwod issues

macsf5500
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need some advise on resetting a Cisco 7960 phone to default. I do not have a password. I have tried to reset the phone as outlined in the forum to no avail. This phone is one of several that we purchased to use with a now defunct service from Pac-West (voippro). The phones are configured MGCP, App. Load: POM3-06-0-00 Boot Load: PC030301 DSP Load PS03AT38. I looking to update them to SIP to use with another provider. Can anyone help? Thanks, Mark

4 Replies 4

Majdi Harb
Level 3
Level 3

hi Mark

did u try to put the 7960 SIP loads on tftp server and statically set ur tftp setting (tftp ip address) on this 7960, this way when ur 7960 boots up it will contact the tftp u defined and pull the SIP load automatically replacing existing one.

hth

please remember to rate helpful posts

/majdi

Hello,

The upgrade process does not work like this. At boot, the phones does not contact tftp server automatically for upgrade.

The factory reset procedure is correct. At that point you bust have the dhcp server give tftp address via option 150. On the tftp server you must have all the load files, beginnign with term60.default.loads.

Note the cisco phones are not the easier ones to use with TISP provider, however if you have engough patience, it can be done.

hi Paulo

actually i assumed that there is a DHCP server and that the ip phone broadcasts at startup to discover this dhcp server to get its ip address and other related info from dhcp response...

i assumed this since from Mark's post he has already dhcp server and basic network connectivity..

although dhcp option 150 will return tftp address, i meant in my post that without the need to configure option 150 and for a test purposes on one ip phone set tftp setting statically on this ip phone, tftp may be on a PC, and contains the SIP load..

all the above is ready just boot up ip phone it will take the SIP load..

by the way i tested this with Asterisk and it worked 4 me, tftp was on Asterisk itself, and all cisco phones got their SIP images and worked fine..

/majdi

Hi Majdi,

glad to know it worked easy for you. However in my experience, the phone looks for images files only when the "load" specified in the config files is different from the one the phone currently is running, or a facotry reset is done via keypad, in which case it looks for termxxx.defaults.load

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: