Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Server Configuration - Cisco 1750 router

lesterccna
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day All,

can anybody give me a step by step procedure on how to configure my 1750 router as a DHCP server?

Thank you,

Lester

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Only a few steps required:

ip dhcp pool POOLNAME

network "Subnet address" "Mask"

default-router "GW address"

and you need an interface which is configured with the GW address.

bye

FCS

Please retae me if I helped.

View solution in original post

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11
10 Replies 10

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Only a few steps required:

ip dhcp pool POOLNAME

network "Subnet address" "Mask"

default-router "GW address"

and you need an interface which is configured with the GW address.

bye

FCS

Please retae me if I helped.

Hi

My problem is that. I have a router with two interfaces fastethernet which are directly connected with one switch(2950). I have only one dhcp pool for the one interface. Today i put another dhcp pool for the other interface. I do not have Vlans at my switch. What address do clients of the switch will get. Can i configure that.

Thanks

moses

Hello,

If you have two interfaces on the router with two pools following the situation:

router:Fa0/0 and Fa0/1

Fa0/0 connects to switch over an access link ( switch is configured as access port, not trunk)

If the pool for Fa0/0 is

10.0.0.0/8 and tha IP of the Fa0/0 is in the is range than a host on the switch will get address from this pool and not from Fa0/1.

DHCP pool fits to the interface. Fa0/1 pool is only for hosts(switch) connected to this port.

bye

FCS

Pleae rate me if I helped.

Hello to you also

Both interfaces of the router are access-links not trunk-links. Both have dhcp pool. Both are connected with the same Swithc. I plug in a client with dynamic address. Which ip address will this client will get. From which pool i mean

Thanks

moses

Hello Moses,

You do InterVlan routing with your router, Fa0/1 and Fa0/0 is on your router, two different subnets with two different pools. From the router you have two uplinks - access links. These links are terminated on two different Layer 2 vlan on the switch. If Fa0/0 is terminated on vlan 100, hosts in vlan 100 will get IP address from Fa0/0's dhcp pool, if Fa0/1 is terminated on vlan 200 on the switch all hosts will get ip from Fa0/1's address space.

Fa0/0 dhcp pool: address of the interface is in the pool

Fa0/1 dhcp pool: address of the interface is in the pool, interface address is member of the subnet (that's will be the GW)

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Hi again

As i understand you mean there is no reason to have this design and connection if i do not want to create any Vlans on the Swithc. Otherwise what's the reason to connect two routers interfaces in one Swithc right.

Thanks

moses

Hi,

DHCP clients broadcast the DHCP request. A DHCP client may receive offers from multiple DHCP Servers and can accept any one of the offers; however, the client usually accepts the first offer it receives.

DHCP Server matches the DHCPDISCOVER with DHCP pool(s) that contain the subnet(s) configured on the receiving interface. If the interface has secondary IP addresses, the subnets associated with the secondary IP addresses are examined for possible allocation only after the subnet associated with the primary IP address (on the interface) is exhausted.

Why are you using 2 pools in the first place ?

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

The reason is why i want to use two pools the problem which i found it like that from the guy when he left is why have two interfaces of router connected to the same Switch. I can not understand the reason.

Thanks

moses

Hi,

He might have been doing it as redundancy, but it is a poor redundancy design as it is only 1 router and 1 switch, if you can't find any other logical reasons, then i encourage you to only use 1 interface.

The other reason to have 2 interfaces, is if you need to have 2 subnets, and then i encourage you to use also VLANs on the layer 2 switch, and thus you'd have full isolation and also you'd have separated the use of the 2 DHCP pools, 1 pool per each VLAN/subnet.

I hope that i've been informative, please don't hesitate if you have further questions.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

As a reference, please review the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca75c.html

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card