Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco fax server solution

liettig
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have a customer interested in a cisco fax server 9.3 solution.

I would like to know if anyone has experience and knows which is the best solution between the following:

1) IP T.38 Fax Relay with H.323 between gateway and callmanager and SIP between gateway and Cisco fax server

2) ISDN/MGCP Fax relay mode with E1 between gateway and and Cisco fax server and MGCP between gateway and callmanager

Solution 1 is for sure the cheapest one so why should someone choose solution 2?

Does anyone know if the Windows 2003 server software and license is provided with the cisco CFS-9-X-BUS-SERV cd? Or the customer has to provide to the operating system?

in the following site: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6178/products_data_sheet0900aecd802638f9.html

I read that "The Cisco MCS 7825-I and MCS 7825-H support only boardless fax over IP (FoIP)."

Does this means that in 7825 series is not possible to use TR1034 PCI cards?

Thank you very much in advance

6 Replies 6

Hi,

thanks for your answer but the link you provided is the same I wrote in my post.

I am also struggling with a Cisco FaxServer solution. I am dealing with a deployment that may grow into a Cisco IPT pilot with CallManager so I want to be able to build into that. The customer is anticipating the need for 30 channels and will look to purchase a PRI from telco to interface to the PSTN. I am picturing that I would purchase an IOS gateway to run H323. This would provide PRI connectivity to the PSTN; however, I am confused about the signaling to the FaxServer (using the Brooktrout card) from the gateway. Is the signaling just T-1 CAS to the IOS gateway?

The doc is pretty un-clear to me.

Thanks.

Mike.

marcobrugge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

1 ) IP T.38 Fax Relay with H.323 between gateway and callmanager and SIP between gateway and Cisco fax server

GW---H.323---CUCM----SIP---CFS

NO problem at all and advantage of use CUCM and perhaps CDR.

2) ISDN/MGCP Fax relay mode with E1 between gateway and and Cisco fax server and MGCP between gateway and callmanager

E1---GW---MGCP---CUCM---CFS

Not sure why you want to do this but you need to be carefull because the protocol (Mgcp or H.323) determine if you need an extra E1 since partial Fax or voice routing is not possible on certain protocols such as MGCP.

Does anyone know if the Windows 2003 server software and license is provided with the cisco CFS-9-X-BUS-SERV cd? Or the customer has to provide to the operating system?

No the CFS software only comes with the CFS software no OS system is on the cd's.

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Marco

Marco,

Good info. FYI: I ended up ordering for the customer the 7835-I2-ECS1 (Usualy used for Unity) which comes with the Windows 2003 OS. We ended up doing the BrookTrout T-1 card which terminates the PRI directly, with RF 9.3. The customer LOVES IT!!!!

Great news.

Thanks,

Marco

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: