Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF per-packet

vinodbharwani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can anybody tell me , how i can configure per-packet& per-load load sharing using single OSPF with two differnt ISP . Please use Route-Map.

Please give me some good document for understanding.

-thanks

2 Replies 2

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Per-Packet and Per-destination load sharing is not a function of OSPF, it is a function of the router forwarding/switching process, as follows:

Process switching -> supports per-packet load-sharing.

Fast switching -> supports per-destination load-sharing.

CEF switching -> supports both, per-destination is the default, it can be changed via the ip load-sharing command under the desired interfaces.

Thus you first need to insure that there exists equal cost routes over the desired interfaces, then use "ip load-sharing per-packet" under the desired interfaces, and first of all enable CEF.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Vinod

Are you using the ospf protocol with ISPs for controlling the network of your company? Let's say the ospf are running from HQ to other sites by using ISPs for core backbone network.

As far as I understand the ospf will do function to install or into the routing table.

Having equal cost routes going to the same destination networks in the routing table you can achieve load-sharing with route-map(f.e. souce-route) method.You can control out-bound traffic you want.

Having equal cost routes going to the same destination networks in the routing table you can achieve load-balancing with CEF either per-packet loadbalance or per-destination loadbalance.Loadbalancing has been done by devices.

Hope this helps

Thot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card