cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS VPN question-lab environment

mrunal_47
Level 1
Level 1

I did it couple of times but it didnt work. I am just trying to build MPLS L3 VPN with OSPF as the PE-CE protocol, EIGRP running within the MPLS cloud and PE-PE protocol being MP-BGP. PE router perform mutual redistribution and the routing table at CE, C and PE routers are exactly the way they should be. PE routers have the right VRF table for that particular VPN. With all the routes in the routing table, I thought that a ping between C and C router should work. However they dont, and I am having some trouble to figure out the reason for this. MP-BGP also exists between PE routers and so does OSPF neighborship between PE and CE routers at both sides. Can anyone guide me the reason for failig pings?? I have tried enough .. :)

2 Replies 2

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Well I believe you must have tried all possible options before posting.

But still to cross check can you pls have the below done.

1) Ping the subnet form local CE to remote CE.

Pass Fail

2) Ping the same subnet from the local PE.

Pass Fail

3) Ping the same subnet from the remote PE connecting the remote CE.

Pass Fail.

4) Check this at Local PE ( show mpls forwarding x.x.x.x [where x.x.x.x is the remote PE loopback])

Pass Fail

5) Check this at the remote PE (show mpls for x.x.x.x [where x.x.x.x is the PE loopback for the local PE])

Pass Fail

6) Finally do a MPLS traceroute or ping from one PE to other.

Pass Fail.

PS: if you dont have MPLS ping/trace in your IOS then do a normal trace from one PE to ther and paste the output.(ideally you should see label swaps with each hop except for the last hop)

This will helps us or may be before you come back, you your self would be able to solve it successfully.

If the above doesnt solve, pls provide a output of "show mpls for" ,a show ip route vrf xx and show ip bgp vpnv4 all vrf xx form both PE's. "show ip route" form both CE's.

Pls mention the PE loopback used for LDP and MPBGP and also the subnet with the problem between CE's.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Well I was not using Loopback interfaces on PE routers for MP-BGP peering and that was the reason for the failing ping. I created loopback address and BGP peering between them and now the ping works! Thanks for your help!

Saurabh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: