cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disable the PC port of VoIP phone

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Is it possible to disable the PC port of Cisco VoIP phone through the call manager which cannot be overridden by the person using the phone by using the network configurations?

Narayan

6 Replies 6

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

There is a parameter on the device configuration page that controls access to the settings of the phone from the phone. I believe it's called "settings" but I could be mistaken. There are three settings (pardon the pun) enabled, disabled and restricted. Restricted allows a user to modify user settings like ring settings, contrast etc, but does not allow them to access the network settings page.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Beside the CCM or CCME settings, I think if you configure on the switch port, the access vlan as something with no connectivity, the effect would be the same.

Under the phone configuration, there is a parameter called as PC port. if i disable this will the user be able to overide this from the phone configuration.

Forgot to tell that the CCM version i am running is 3.3

Narayan

Hence my suggestion to configure the access vlan with no connectivity so that no matter what the user does, they can't use the port.

Paolo,

The idea which you gave is very good to have it in a vlan which does not exist (some sort of null)

But the client wants it specifically to be blocked and hence i am trying to find ways. I will try to persuade him with the above approach as it seems to be the best way even if an avaya/nortel phone is attached.

Narayan

or you could restrict access by mac address

switchport port-security mac-address {mac address}

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: