Views
Helpful
Replies

k9 security appliances

goharkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sir/madam,

I have ASA5520-AIP10-k9 security appliance, could any one tell me what does this AIP10 and K9 security appliance mean.Also could any tell me briefly how i best use this equipment, i have a LAN of 500 users that contain dell servers, 1802 router, netscreen firewall, cisco 4500 main switch etc.Currently im not using ASA but i want to utilize it.

Thank you for your time.

10 Replies 10

goharkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for disturbing agian.could any one please explain the following things of the

Cisco 3845 series Router:

a. 1 SFP,

b.4 NME,

c.4HWIC,

d.IP Base,

e.64F/256D for scalable and durable routing.

thanks alot in advance

At a high level here is an explanation.

SFP = small form-factor pluggable

It is a module that you can plug into the router for connectivity to another device. Modules include fiber multimode and singlemode.

NME = Network Module Enhanced

This is a module that allows for many different configuration. They can also be combined to use NME-X modules.

So you can have 4 NME or 2 NME-X

HWIC = Will suport WAN or Voice modules. There are many types of WIC's it can support. This includes HWIC's, VWIC's, WIC's and VIC's. You can also combine two of them and use a HWIC-D.

so you can have 4 and any combination of HWIC's, VWIC's, WIC's or VIC's or Two of the previous with one HWIC-D or just two HWIC-D's

IP Base = Means the IOS software is for IP

64F/256D = 64MB of Flash memory and 256MB of DRAM memory

Thank you for your detailed answer, now let me come to the point.I have requested the follwoing router with these things:

Cisco 3845 router with 3845 w/DC PWR, 2GE, 1 SFP, 4 NME, 4HWIC, IP Base, 64F/256D

for scalable and durable routing.

Now should this router include all these cards or modules or just empty slates, according to the specifications given above.I have recieved this router with only empty slotes.

The 3845 comes with 2 integrated GE. If you look at the back of the router you will see top left the two GigabitEthernet Ports. These are the 2GE. Right next to those is a small slot for the SFP. But no module will be in it, nor will it come with any other modules for the HWIC or NME. There are so many different types of SFP, HWIC's and NME you can use in the 3845 you have to order them separately from the 3845. There are certain product bundles that you can purchase that have some modules already installed but it does not seem you ordered one of those.

If you have not already done so you can view the product page at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps5856/index.html

If you need help with specific modules give detailed description of what you are trying to accomplish.

Thank you for your help,

I want to come to my previous post,in which i wanted to know about Cisco ASA 5520 AIP10-k9 security appliance.what does AIP10-k9 module use for and same question if i order ASA 5520 AIP10-k9 so will it include the slot only or the module also.

gohar

The ASA5520 comes with a set of built in interfaces and with a single expansion slot. The AIP10 is an optional module that goes into the expansion slot and provides additional capability for Advanced Intrusion Prevention. It can examine the traffic going through the ASA and look for attack indicators and if it finds traffic that looks like an attack in process it can deal with the attack to minimize the impact on your network. If you ordered an ASA5520 with AIP10 then the module should have come with it.

The k9 indicator shows that this ASA has support for crypto processes, which is essential in supporting SSH and IPSec VPN.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for your help,

Still I am confused about it, in bid in have requested ASA5520-AIP10, so what does it mean it will include this module or not?

and one more questions what is different between 3800 series and 3845 router? again i requested 3845 but i recieved 3800 written on the router, Is there any physical difference between these two or just IOS version.

The same case is for 1800 and 1802.

Thanks

Hi Gohar

There are 2 3800 routers, a 3825 and a 3845 so there isn't a 3800 as such.

Both will say 3800 on the front. If you look at the back of the router it should have the specific version there.

Same goes for the 1800's.

HTH

Jon

Thank very, yes it is written on the back i never noticed that.

I am still waiting answer about ASA5520-AIP10-k9? I write in my request ASA5520-AIP10-k9 will it include the module or not?

Hi

The ASA5520-AIP10-K9 is an IPS bundle which has

Cisco ASA 5510 IPS Edition includes AIP-SSM-10, firewall services, 250 IPsec VPN peers, 2 SSL VPN peers, 3 Fast Ethernet interfaces

So in short, yes it should include the module.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: