Views
Helpful
Replies

which vlan carrys pc's data?

bkoum
Level 1
Level 1

hello

i need some clarification configuring one port with voice vlan and a pc as the appliance device.

-------------------------------

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 100

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 100

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 10

switchport priority extend cos 2

spanning-tree portfast

-----------------------------

also the vlan1 is shutdown.

which vlan carrys data coming from the pc connected to the IP phone, and what the real use of a native vlan?

5 Replies 5

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

Can you let me know the Switch and IOS version you are running. Depending on that it would depend wether Native VLAN is needed or not.

Assuming this is one of the new Layer 3 Switches, data would be carried on the access vlan and voice on the voice vlan. With most of the new Cisco Switches, native VLAN is not needed if you are connecting a Cisco Phone to the switch.

i think its an old model switch....3548XL c3500XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5-XW and 2950XL with c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC7...

If the native vlan is that which carry the data do i have any QoS on my untagg packets?

I'm not sure as to how QoS would work on this link, but from data and voice prospective, both Data and Voice would travel on Native VLAN.

Hi Bill,

I found this link on cisco.com which might answer your question:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_9_ea1/configuration/guide/swvoip.html#wp1035874

As mentioned in the above link, this would force the phone to overwrite the cos value recieved from the PC behind it.

thanks for your interesting but i dont have access on that file, it ask a cco account...

if u can copy paste a portion of the pdf here it would be great .

thanks again