cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CTRL+break doesn't work, cannot boot on Rommon.

lesterccna
Level 1
Level 1

GoodDay to All,

Im using a 1750 router, and then i upgrade it to higher version, after

then i reload it, the problem it does not goes to start-up mode or

even the rommon mode,not enough memory to load the image, it always

rebooted after the self-decompressing image,

I try to stop it using the CTRL+Break, but it doesn't work.

Here are the error message.

Smart Init is disabled. IOMEM set to: 20

Memory required: 31637548 bytes, Memory available: 25165824 bytes

INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO LOAD IMAGE!

The difference between Memory required and Memory available is the additional

memory you need to run the router. Alternately, use a smaller image; this

may cause the memory requirement to decrease, and may allow you to at least

use the router with reduced functionality until you get more memory.

*** System received a Software forced crash ***

signal= 0x17, code= 0x200, context= 0x8000620c

PC = 0xffffffff, Vector = 0x200, SP = 0xffffffff

?

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1700 platform with 24576 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x6b4628

Self decompressing the image : #################################

###############################################################

################# [OK]

Smart Init is disabled. IOMEM set to: 20

Thanks,

Lester

9 Replies 9

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

The break sequence depends upon the emulator you use.

have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/61.html

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Thanks for the infos, but still doesn't work,

tried also used with the hyperterminal and secure crt the follow the platforms, but still doesn't solve my problem,

any idea?

Thank you very much for your future response,

lester

Is your console connection direct into a serial com port on your laptop, or are you using a usb to serial convertor. I have had issues using the latter, with not being able to send a break sequence.

If you are using a usb to serial convertor, try with a device that has a native serial com port to see if this works.

Martin

Hi,

complete these steps to simulate a break key sequence to enter the rommon:

1.Connect to the router with these terminal settings:

1200 baud rate

No parity

8 data bits

1 stop bit

No flow control

You no longer see any output on your screen, and this is normal.

2.Power cycle (switch off and then on) the switch and press the SPACEBAR for 10-15 seconds in order to generate a signal similar to the break sequence.

3.Disconnect your terminal, and reconnect with a 9600 baud rate. You enter the ROM Monitor mode.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks buddy it is really work for me really appreciated

thank you so much Mohammed it was so useful & it solved the issue (gazakom ALLAH khairan)

Neeraj Arora
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Lester,

After trying all the above suggestions, if you still are facing issues then open the router's box and take out the Flash SIMM... it will try to look for an IOS file thrice and then will fall into rommon automatically

You can use the following link for hardware installation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps221/prod_configuration_guide09186a0080099429.html#wp1077820

After you are in rommon, issue the command "confreg 0x2100" and "reset" the router, you will again go into rommon

Then insert the FLash once again in the chassis and then bootup again, because of config-register 0x2100, the router will go to rommon and then you should check the new IOS that you are trying to install.

Your router should have sufficient amount of DRAM to load that IOS, infact it'll help if you post the exact file names of the previous IOS and the new IOS along with your routers DRAM and Flash Capacity (But this is a secondary task which we can think of once you are able to go into rommon)

Regards,

Neeraj

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

One more probable cause of not being able to insert break / access the console would be the Scroll Lock on Hypertterminal.

Yes, if the Scroll Lock of the keyboard is enabled then anything you type on the Hyperterminal is ignored and Router becomes pretty much inaccessible. Please ensure if you have a Scroll Lock off.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

scottchester
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a similar problem and seeing a similar pc= , vector = , sp = when I do send the break sequence. I've tried this on four different machines now, with usb/serial and directly with serial port on computer. I've tried it in HyperTerminal and MacWise. If I use the same setup with another device the break signal works just fine.

Does anyone have an idea of how to get around this or should I just call this 1711 a doorstop?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco