cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients authenticating to 1231G not getting assigned DHCP addresses

CSCO10203269
Level 1
Level 1

Here at HQ we have a 4402 WLC. At our remote sites we have 1231G APs running in autonomous mode. I upgraded one of the APs -- IOS 12.4(3g)JA -- to run LWAPP. Per release notes I've read upgraded 1231's do not support REAP/HREAP mode, consequently, it's running in LOCAL mode.

The AP is managed by the WLC. I created a WLAN for the remote site and assigned it to the MGMT interface; the remote site subnet doesn't exist in HQ. The DHCP server for the remote site is presently at that site; AP and DHCP server reside at the same place.

Clients authenticate successfully to the remote site AP, however, they are not getting DHCP addresses assigned. Does the DHCP server for the remote site have to reside in HQ since the AP is running in local mode? If so, where is that specified, on the MGMT interface config?

4 Replies 4

bwilmoth
Level 5
Level 5

Try to erase and reconfigure the SSID and Wep Key.

When in LW mode -- I do not see a way to erase and reconfigure the SSID and Wep Key ??

Below is a post from you long ago - I hope you are still around........

Thanks -

Re: Clients authenticating to 1231G not getting assigned DHCP addresses

Try to erase and reconfigure the SSID and Wep Key.

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In local mode, the client is going to get an ip address from the subnet the interface the WLAN is linked to. So if you don't have a dhcp scope on the mgmt interface, the client will not get an address.

What you could do, is create a new dynamic interface/subnet for these clients. Then you can specify whichever dhcp server you like, and create the appropriate scope there

HTH,

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Because you are in fact using 1231's and they don't support H-REAP which is correct, you would need to create a new network on the network where the controller exists for these clients. Then create this interface on the controller and assign it to the WLAN SSID. Keep in mind that doing this results in all the client traffic tunneling from the remote site to the controller before hitting the network. This can cause alot of WAN traffic to occur depending on your overall network design; the other option would be to put a controller at the remote site or replace the AP's with one's that support H-REAP then you can have the traffic terminate locally..

HTH.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card