cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 newbie question

IgorHamzic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I have a question regarding ASA and VLANs.The situation is like this in a remote office I will get the link to our central office and our internet link over the same physical optical cable but different VLANS(one tagged,other untagged).

I did some reading and it seems the best thing to do is to make 2 subinterfaces on the physical interface,put them in different VLANs and assign them corresponding IP addresses(like on a router).Am I on the right path here or should something else be done to male such a configuration work?

And there is another question I wanted to ask regarding the internet link. From the pictures I received from there are 2 sets of IP addresses.One set is for a point-to-point link between the ASA and the providers equipment.But the other set is marked as a directed IP route(rough translation,don't know if translation is correct) with 4 usable IP addresses.As the ASAs will be in failover and I need 2 IP addresses because of that should I use the 2nd larger range?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

The security appliance supports two failover configurations, Active/Active Failover and Active/Standby Failover. Each failover configuration has its own method to determine and perform failover. With Active/Active Failover, both units can pass network traffic. This lets you configure load balancing on your network. Active/Active Failover is only available on units that run in multiple context mode. With Active/Standby Failover, only one unit passes traffic while the other unit waits in a standby state. Active/Standby Failover is available on units that run in either single or multiple context mode. Both failover configurations support stateful or stateless (regular) failover.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

The security appliance supports two failover configurations, Active/Active Failover and Active/Standby Failover. Each failover configuration has its own method to determine and perform failover. With Active/Active Failover, both units can pass network traffic. This lets you configure load balancing on your network. Active/Active Failover is only available on units that run in multiple context mode. With Active/Standby Failover, only one unit passes traffic while the other unit waits in a standby state. Active/Standby Failover is available on units that run in either single or multiple context mode. Both failover configurations support stateful or stateless (regular) failover.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: