cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity during data center move

jimwysocki
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the planning process of moving a data center, and I wanted to know what would be the best way to connect the two remote sites. The traffic does not need to be to secure but had great volume maybe 50mbs or so, I'm guessing a encrypted VPN may not be the best solution do the vast CPU overhead to encrypt the data. If it can be done I want to see if I can get both sites on the same subnet, so our VPN routers ACL's don't have to be changed. If all else fails I am thing about a service by Yipes, (we use them for some connections currently, which would provide layer 2 connectivity. This is probably a easy question and I am overlooking multiple things, I just wanted to get everyone else?s input and advice based on personal experiences.

Thank you

3 Replies 3

timkaye
Level 1
Level 1

Heres my two cents.

Really depends on how the bulk of devices in the DC are being moved. Staged or in one go.

I like the idea of being able extend the network being both data centres with a layer 2 connection. Potentially costly, but it allows devices to be moved overtime and with little effort.

I've worked this way before.

I've also worked having a VPN (maybe not with the throughput your talking) setup. Basically this really does depend on how you wish to move the servers etc. I had a pix to pix scnenario, and when the move was ready, the new DC pix was fired up, the old one shut down and devices moved across.

There are a few options and hopefully a few more people chime in with other ideas.

Tim

Im planning on moving them over time. Is there any way with cisco routes i can provide layer 2 connectivity?

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

We moved our DC with L3 connectivity, but it including readressing of servers to the new address plan.

For devices, that were not readressed, were move a whole VLAN at once, so we could have a shutdown VLAN interface on one side, and running on the others.

Routing protocols did all the convergence work.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card