farellfolly Mon, 06/25/2007 - 13:42
User Badges:

Layer 2. Read the CCNA module 1 and/or 2. They gave layer 2 devices examples : bridge, switch, NIC.

As all of them can recognise or deal with layer 2 address (MAC), they are said to be layer 2 devices

marcelo.rodrigues Tue, 06/26/2007 - 02:47
User Badges:

Farell,

A NIC also has IP, why not layer 3?

I've already read the modules 1 and 2 of CCNA, but it is not clear to me.

Tks

farellfolly Tue, 06/26/2007 - 03:14
User Badges:

I don't think that NICs have also IP. IPs are used to know the logical location of your computer, but MAC effectively controls the access to your computer.

Every incoming signal to the NIC comes as a frame, so to decide if the signal (the frame) is for host it is attached to, the NIC looks at the MAC of the destination in the destination field, but not the IP address.

That's why, whenever a signal should be sent to a device in a LAN, even if you already knew the IP, you must also know its MAC (using ARP for instance).

It is the same for the switches, they can have IP address for remote management but are considered layer 2 (But notice that they are also layer 3 switches!!) because their forwarding decision is based on the MAC addresses.

Luis_saltron Tue, 06/26/2007 - 12:22
User Badges:

Hola buenas tardes

Escribo en este oportunidad, para saber mi siguiente inquetud para mejor la relacion y el mejoramiento de la informacion entre la capa 1 y 2, cual seria el metodo a realizar?

Gracias y saludos

Actions

This Discussion