cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP directed route

IgorHamzic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.As I am not from an English speaking country I don't know if I translated it correctly so bear with me.

Anyway I have a picture that I got from an Internet provider in which there is a point-to-point IP address range for I guess connection between our equipment and the provider's but there is also something called a directed IP route with 4 usable IP addresses but I have no idea what to use that range for.

Do I use the that range for connection to the provider or something else?

I would be grateful for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes you can do that.

The P2P addresses are used between your router and the ISP. The directed ip address is used on the LAN side of the router connecting to the firewall.

PAT can be configured to the interface IP of the firewall and you will be left with 2 IPs which can be used for any static NAT if needed.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

These addresses are the Valid public IP address assigned by the SP to you.

You can use them to NAT/PAT the inside subnets for internet access.

You can also assign a static NAT for a server you want to host on the internet.

THese public addresses are directed to your router by the SP and hence are called as directed addresses

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

OK thanks for the fast reply.I use the point-to-point addresses to connect our equipment and directed addresses for NAT/PAT as you explained it.

Could I use those directed addresses and assign them to the 'outside' interface of a router or perhaps in the future to the outside interface of a firewall?Will something like that work or can I use them only for NAT/PAT?

yes you can do that.

The P2P addresses are used between your router and the ISP. The directed ip address is used on the LAN side of the router connecting to the firewall.

PAT can be configured to the interface IP of the firewall and you will be left with 2 IPs which can be used for any static NAT if needed.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Great.That means I can even put 2 firewalls in failover mode and still have 1 address with which to do static NAT.

Thanks for your great help Narayan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card