cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity Issue...

jjudd
Level 1
Level 1

IPP 7960 will not register with the CCM, stuck in obtaining IP address...It is connected to a 3560G...When I connect a laptop (DHCP enabled) to the switch, the laptop gets an IP address and the IPP 7960 registers...When I disconnect the laptop from the switch and shut/no shut the port the IPP 7960 connects too...It will not register again...

7 Replies 7

pstebner1
Level 1
Level 1

Can I assume that you have the laptop and phone on seperate VLANs? You may have to force the phone onto a the voice VLAN in order to get it to register. Have you tried another phone on that switchport to verify that it is an issue with that specific phone?

HTH,

Paul

Yes, they are on seperate Vlans...I've tried 2 7960's and 1 7940 with the same result...When I connect the laptop it seems like it jump starts the switch...I'm able to manage the switch remotely...Thanks for your response...

JJ...

So it is the port and not the phone... I assume also that the config for that port is identical to the rest of the ports, and that has been verified.

When you added the laptop to the equation, did you connect the laptop to the wall jack/switch using the same cable that the phone had been using, or did you keep the phone cable with the phone and connect the laptop with a new cable? I would try changing out that cable if the former is true.

Paul

Once I get this switch working it will be placed into a data closet and connect to 2 more 3560G?s?As I see it, it is definitely related to the switch and not a physical layer problem?I?ve used the cable that works with the laptop on the different IPP?s?The config is a cookie cutter config that I have on 40 other switches throughout the network?I was just wondering if anyone has seen an issue like this before?

Thanks again,

JJ?

JJ-

I have seen stuff like this before but it was usually a bad phone/load and not a bad switch port. Did you also plug right into the switch to avoid additional cabling?

As a last resort you may want to flash the IOS on the switch, or, worst case, don't use that port.

Sorry,

P

Paul,

I've upgraded and downgraded the IOS...It's not just the one port, it is all 48 of them...It dosen't matter which one the IPP or laptop is plugged into...Right now I have 3 IPP's connected to the switch that aren't registering as soon as I connected my laptop to the switch (any port) the IPP's register...I will probably be sending this switch back to C...Take care, JJ...

Hey JJ-

That's beyond strange. I din't realize it was all ports. It really does sound like a config issue, but if it's the same exact config and IOS that all of your other switches have, then, yes - send it back.

Good luck,

paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card