cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 failover question

IgorHamzic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I have 2 ASAs in failover and the provider that is providing the internet link and the link to our main office has done the following.

Over the same optical cable I have 3 IP ranges coming.First is a point-to-point range for connecting our devices,second one is a directed IP route range with 4 usable addresses and the third over which comes the range for connection to the main office with plenty of usable addresses.

How would I make a failover configuration for this kind of link?I suppose I can make different subifs and VLANs for each range but as I understand it I need 2 addresses to make failover viable.

Can a failover be done at all as I have only 2 addresses available in the point-to-point range between our devices or is there some way around this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Replies 2

timkaye
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

potenitally depending on what version of software you are running, you could perhaps be able to configure failover, simply excluding the outside interface.

I've never been required to configure it this way, when failover is configured you may simply be able to not configured the failover address for the outside interface.

There is a command "monitor interface" so a "no monitor interface outside" may help.

I would be interested to know if this would work.

Tim

timkaye
Level 1
Level 1

Ps - the static statments are quite flexible in allowing you to create static entries for the same external IP services.

Theoretically you could map the outside interfaces Ip address to the x number of inside addresses , where x is also the number of different services (ports).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: