cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fixup Protocol SMTP 25

fullerthaler
Level 1
Level 1

Is Fixup protocol smtp 25 for inbound only? I've heard this can cause issues of all kinds. Should I disable it?

5 Replies 5

vitripat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Please refer to following link-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix63/command/reference/df.html#wp1067379

This is for inbound smtp connections when outside clients are connecting to internal mail servers. Going by the link, if your mail server requires use of commands other than mentioned in the link (HELO, MAIL, RCPT, DATA, RSET, NOOP, and QUIT), you may disable the fixup. This is generally true incase of Microsoft Exchange servers which uses Extended commands.

If you face issues with mails, you may test things with disabling the same-

no fixup protocol smtp 25

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vibhor.

If I am having trouble sending messages out, will disabling the fixup protocol smtp 25 have any affect?

No.

Can u describe the issues sending mail out.

Is this domain specific or does it affect all outbound mail?

== Issue is we cannot send emails to a few internet domain i.e. 2strategic.com

== Messages for these domains are stuck in the queue in a retry state.

straticus1
Level 1
Level 1

It is not aware of inbound vs. outbound. Mailguard -- aka. fixup protocol smtp 25 breaks a number of various features with regards to ESMTP. Essentially the required commands are not forwarded to the server, commands such as X-LINK2STATE, Auth, Auth login, KILL, and WIZ are all discarded.

It should be noted that when fixup smtp is enabled, the *ONLY* valid commands are --

HELO, MAIL, RCPT, DATA, RSET, NOOP, and QUIT, and even at that case, some clients/servers are still broken.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card