cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need help with callmanager setup

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

All, I have an existing callmanager 4.X setup that the company is going to be "porting over" some phone numbers to. Im not sure how they are doing this, but I am responsible for making sure the callmanager handles these correctly. Im confused on the following:

1. How do I know what external phone number goes to what internal phone number?

2. This is for a remote site, so how do I redirect the new "ported" numbers to the remote site?

3. Is there a guide to this, I have not been able to find one. Thanks for your help in advance.

11 Replies 11

eug-c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am not to clear on your question.

Maybe you can give an example on your scenario.

Are you moving the numbers of a remote office to your central office?

For example, your main office as number 555-1000 to 555-1999. Your remote office as number 666-5000 to 666-5999.

So if you need to move ur remote office to IPT and need to move the numbers 666 to your callmanager, first you need to ask your telco provider to port the numbers to your Voice Gateway in your Central office. I'm not sure how they will do it, they can either bundle it into your existing digital line, or give you an additional digital E1 or T1 line connecting to a voice gateway in your central office.

After which, you got to configure your voice gateway, not too sure if you are using MGCP or H323, but the key thing is you need to configure the gateway calling search space to be able to reach the new IP phones in the remote office 666-XXXX.

With that, I would think ur numbers of the remote office have been ported to your central office CCM setup.

HTH,

Eugene

thanks for responding. do you mean that I need to get on the gateway instead of callmanager to do some configuration? Im not sure at this point if its mgcp or not, but if mgcp I can do all config from callmanager? If not mgcp, all config on the gateway? Can you provide a little more info on how to do that? Yes, topology is as you said, we are moving a branch office to the central office. thanks.

Hi, you are right, if you use mgcp, you can control using the CCM. if H323, you would need more configurations on the gateway.

Would this new remote office be using the same DID numbers as the central office? or do they have their own DID numbers? Currently there is no voice gateway in the remote office?

As you can see, there are quite a number of things to take note. It would be best if you got some professional services as I can only give you general advices as I do not have a full understanding of your office setups and call routings.

Eugene

No, they have an older off brand system and are moving to integrate to the callmanager main site. so, Im not sure about the did numbers, and no there is no voice gateway at thier office now. Ill be putting a new router in at that location as well.

If you have a PBX in your remote office, unless it has a TIE line to your central office PBX, it should have its own PSTN connection and DID numbers.

So for example, if you want IP phones in that remote office, you can add the phones there and configure the VG as MGCP gateway. In the MGCP configuration, add a PSTN connection (eg. PRI E1 or T1) and the calling search space should be able to reach the remote office phones. Also configure route patterns for domestic calls out of the new remote voice gateway.

Maybe you want to have an access code for inter office calls too.

HTH,

Eugene

That sounds good, my only question, and maybe you have answered it and I just dont get it, but how do I get the new phone numbers, coming in on the PRI, to be associated to that site? So, if they dial the main number to that site, how do I get callmanager to say "oh, they want to get to the remote site, so Ill send the call over there instead of here"? does that make sense?

Hi,

That can be done using partition and calling search spaces.

Say, you have Partition A in your central office and Partition B in your remote office.

Similarly, Calling Search Space (CSS) A for calling to central office and CSS B for calling remote office.

So when calls come in to the PRI, which is on the voice gateway in the remote office, as it is controlled using MGCP, there is this CSS configuration in the CCM gateway webpage. You have to choose CSS B for that, so that it only can reach the remote office phones.

Then you can probably add a translation pattern in each of the partitions to route calls through different office.

Example: 123XXXX in PART A with CSS B and it would mask the number toXXXX.

Similarly, 234XXXX in PART B with CSS A and it would mask the number to XXXX.

Eugene

So, I think you are saying that when the phone company changes over the phone number from remote site to main site callmanager, I dont have to do anything special for it to receive from that new phone number. I just have to add configuation on the callmanager to say that DID number routes to remote phone? Anything I have to configure for the DID numbers?

Yea, the changes would be done on the phone company side and if they did it correctly, you would see the DID numbers entering through your voice gateway. And that all routing is done in the callmanager side.

Thanks for the info. This has helped tremendously. Now, my next question goes along with this: Is there something in particular that I would need to on the CallManager to allow for this new DID?

On the CCM, you probably need to have new configurations such as partitions as CSS to prevent any conflicts in routings.

Example:

Central Office Partition: 1000-1999

Remote Office Partition: 2000-2999.

Central Office CSS: Route to CO Partition

Remote Office CSS: ROute to RO Partition.

So in your new remote office, there should be a telco provided line to your voice gateway. In CCM, configure the gateway interface to use the RO CSS. So all calls to your remote office DID would route to the remote office phones.

Lastly add a translation pattern for inter-office routing, example '5'. So add a TP, 5.XXXX in RO Partition to use CO CSS and do a predot and vice versa.

That's it.

If it dun work, you can do a debug ISDN q931 to see the incoming numbers and outgoing numbers, make sure your CCM is able to recognise the number and route it accordingly.

:)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: