cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Cisco 2948G L2 switch

openboy_basanta
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a few problems with my Cisco 2948G L-2 Switch.

1) "copy config flash all"

When I issue this command every time a new configuration file is created . So there are already a lot of configuration files, I tried deleting one of the configuration file and my configuration was lost. All the configurations have same file name but different time stamp.

I do not have extra flash memory , these configuration files are saved in bootflash itself.

"write memory" command doesnt work it says "This command is available only in text mode" What does this mean ? How do I save my current configuration in NVRAM ??

2) The switch is not synchronizing with my Time Server even after setting timezone and other parameters, it is always showing wrong date/time.

3) Can this L2 switch be made to act as L3 switch with IOS upgrade ???

Waiting for Response,

Thanks

Basanta

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Basanta,

1. There are two config modes on the 2948G-L2 switches running Cat OS on them. One mode is Binary mode.. which is default and the other mode is test mode. In Binary mode all the switch configs will save automatically in the NVRAM the moment commands are put in. You can change the text mode by using the command " set config mode text " and then you have to use " write memory " to save the configs in NVRAM.

2. Where is you time server located. Please paste the config for your swithces.

3. Nope, you cannot change the switch to L3 its a pure L2 switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/7.5/command/reference/set_a_d.html#wp1026511

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is a catos switch only . Most people would save the config to a tftp server and not save it to bootflash everytime you change something as you have seen this will fill up bootflash: . If you have a time server all you should have to do is to enable ntp client and set the server address . It does not have to go all the way across the network to pick the time up you can point it to the nearest switch that is pulling a valid time from your server . You should not have to set any time zones or otherwise if you are using a timeserver as it will supply those parameters. I would suggest you find some other way to save your configs other than to bootflash. What happens if the switch craps out then you have nothing .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Basanta,

1. There are two config modes on the 2948G-L2 switches running Cat OS on them. One mode is Binary mode.. which is default and the other mode is test mode. In Binary mode all the switch configs will save automatically in the NVRAM the moment commands are put in. You can change the text mode by using the command " set config mode text " and then you have to use " write memory " to save the configs in NVRAM.

2. Where is you time server located. Please paste the config for your swithces.

3. Nope, you cannot change the switch to L3 its a pure L2 switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/7.5/command/reference/set_a_d.html#wp1026511

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks Amit,

I worked out with "write memory" , now can i delete the configuration files inside flash I talked about ?? What will be the name of the configuration file when i issue "write memory" command ?

Time server is located in the same network as the switch's management vlan.

There is "set ip permit

"set igmp filter disable", however i saw this line as well.

There arent other configuration, because all the switch ports are in default(same) VLAN.

I heard about some Enhanced IOS image that allows to use some features of Layer3 with cisco 2948G L2 switch

Regards,

Basanta

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is a catos switch only . Most people would save the config to a tftp server and not save it to bootflash everytime you change something as you have seen this will fill up bootflash: . If you have a time server all you should have to do is to enable ntp client and set the server address . It does not have to go all the way across the network to pick the time up you can point it to the nearest switch that is pulling a valid time from your server . You should not have to set any time zones or otherwise if you are using a timeserver as it will supply those parameters. I would suggest you find some other way to save your configs other than to bootflash. What happens if the switch craps out then you have nothing .

Thanks Glen,

My NTP server issue got solved, when i issued " set ntp client enable", but i had to manage the offset time as well.

I agree with your view regarding tftp backups, I have maintained a tftp backup for configuration as well , and I am doing "write memory " after issuing " set config text mode nvram" , its working.

Regards,

Basanta

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card