Racking network switches

Unanswered Question
Jun 25th, 2007

Hi

I planning to install the following in a network rack :

2 x Cisco 4507's

3 x Cisco 3750's

Is there a certain amount of space i should leave between each switch for air flow?

Also in the same rack will be strucured CAT6 cabling with RJ45 termination panels.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Patrick Laidlaw Tue, 06/26/2007 - 00:59

Hello,

Airflow is either front to back or side to side in most Chasis.

In the case of the 4507's its side to side except for the power supplys. With each line card air flow going side to side.

The 3750 is also side to side.

Dependinging on the type of room if its an air conditioned room you should have no problem stacking them right on top of each other. For any other rooms I would say its good practice to leave 1U of space between the 3750's.

Patrick

c.carson Wed, 06/27/2007 - 19:22

What type of rack is it? Is it a relay-rack (two pole open) or and enclosed rack?

Most of the time they are relay-racks, open front and back. I will assume this.

Because of the side to side flow, I always worry more about space between racks vertically. If you have multiple racks, I would suggest wide vertical cable management between racks to give more space on the sides of the devices for air flow.

Depending on what type of blades you have in the 4507 you may want to put horizontal 1U/2U cable management between the switches so you have a way to control all the patch cables. This would help with cable managment and heat displacement between the chasis.

Actions

This Discussion