Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging over IP network

rmujeeb81
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have to provide connectivity to one of customer over our IP network.Customer has wireless last miles at both locations terminating at their router's ethernet interfaces.Customer requirement is to use same IP subnet at both locations means bridging over IP network so kindly guide me for this , as one of possible solution could be L2TPv3 but we can't do configuration at our(SP) end due to some policy matters. What are other solutions which we can implement at customer equipments only.

Regards,

Mujeeb

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try convincing you customer to use different subnets at the sites because bridging is inefficient, hard to configure and diagnose, an generally unreliable. Generally speaking, customers do not have a real requirement to run bridging, but they request it anyway because unable to configure their systems properly.

If that fails, try configuring bridging over GRE tunnel - this is not supported officlay by cisco, but may work.

Hello,

I have created GRE tunnel between both locations but unable to put tunnel interface into bridge-group while I have seen conf. of a cisco router in which bridge group was assigned to a tunnel interface.Kindly guide me in this regard.Is there any possibility to achieve same solution using BVI interface ?

Regards,

Mujeeb

Hello,

exactly the possibility of placing a tunnel interface in bridge group is the one never officially supported by cisco, so if the router doesn't take the command, I'm afraid you have nobody to complain to.

Hello,

Thanks for the prompt response.Well any other solution to provide Transparent LAN Switching over an IP network.Would IRB or CRB would work for me ?

Regards,

Mujeeb

We have a similar situation and our solution right now is using Metro Ethernet. Ask your local telephone providers if they offer this. It's simply a L2 network through the provider. But be careful multicast's through the network. This solution is great for temporary applications and is not suggested for full production.

Hello Mujeeb,

Bridging over GRE works. Just configure the following (bridge group number must be the same as the BVI interface number):

bridge irb

bridge 1 protocol ieee

interface BVI1

ip address /an address from the bridged network/

interface Tunnel x

bridge-group 1

(the IOS will tell you that this is an undocumented, unsupported command)

interface FastEthernet x

bridge-group 1

You need to do this on both end.

Hello,

Yes , its working. Thanks to all of you.

Regards,

Mujeeb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card