cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2620 Support BGP

brian-utter
Level 1
Level 1

I have several 2620 routers that I am planning on using for MPLS. I was orignally told the routers would work with IOS c2600-i-mz.123-22.bin. Since then I have been told they might not work unless I have at least IOS K9-12.3-8.t(10).bin. This IOS I think requires more DRAM and Flash than I have. I currently only have 64mb of DRAM and 16mb of flash. I have provided a sh ver below and attached a sh tech.

Thanks for your help.

------------------ show version ------------------

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.3(22), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 24-Jan-07 16:48 by ccai

Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x80CEA424

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.3(22), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

changeme uptime is 1 minute

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.123-22.bin"

cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x102) with 56320K/9216K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAB0416027D (3523960535)

M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

1 Serial network interface(s)

32 terminal line(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brian

I am not sure what the issue is and not sure why someone would think that you need to go to the crypto image in the 12.3T train if the question is support for BGP. I checked the Software Advisor on CCO and it indicates that there is support for BGP in the image that you are running. Is there some requirement other than the ability to run BGP?

Have you attempted to configure BGP on this router yet? If so, what was the result?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

The image does not support MPLS and that is what the user is trying to achieve i think

i think you would require an enterprise feature set or a higher iOS for MPLS support

Narayan

Rick-

Thanks for the quick response. I am working with AT&T going to there PNT MPLS product. I had my technical interview last week and I explained to them the routers and what IOS they were running and his response was I had to be on at the other IOS. As far as I know the only requirement is BGP for the MPLS.

I have tried to configure bgp by issuing the command "router bgp 65000" and that seems to work. I get no errors back.

Brian

What you tried is consistent with what I found in the Software Advisor which is that BGP is supported in the code that you are running. If Narayan is correct and you also need to process MPLS in this router then you may very well need the other IOS. If AT&T said that you needed the upgraded code I would be inclined to believe that is what you need.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick/Narayan thanks for all of your replies. I am now confused more than ever. :) Is there any place you can think of where I can get a definitive answer on this topic? Will my 2620's support BGP and MPLS at all? Am I low on DRAM or Flash? If I upgrade this will the router support BGP and MPLS or am I going to have to go with a different router all together?

Hi,

Maybe it is worth to note that a customer of an ISP offering MPLS VPN service typically does not need to have MPLS anywhere. So if you are going to attach your router to an AT&T MPLS L3VPN solution I doubt that MPLS features are a requirement. In fact, afaik, AT&T offers two PNT products: "MPLS PNT IP Transport" and "MPLS PNT Label Transport". I would assume you will go for "MPLS PNT IP Transport" unless you already have an MPLS network in place.

It might very well be, that the ISP prefers BGP as the PE-CE routing protocol. If only BGP is needed you might be set to go without any additional purchases. The only question remaining will then be, if a 2620 can handle the interfaces and throughput plus services required. In other words: you might still find that the router does not meet your needs. But given the infos provided I would assume you can use the router as is.

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

P.S.: I still would test the proposed setup with all the features in a lab environment before going into production.

Brian

First maybe we can clarify something: are these 2620 routers and not 2620XM routers?

I am finding it somewhat difficult to determine exactly what is required to support MPLS using the Software Advisor. But in looking at the software advisor I am not seeing 12.3T images for the plain 2620 (they appear to be for 2620XM). So I am wondering if you will not need different routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

From the 'show ver' output that Brian provided it appears it's a 2620(non-XM) running 12.3 mainline code. Yes that image does support BGP as everyone of you indicated before.

The question is whether that's good enough to connect to the provider MPLS network. As Martin indicated to connect to the provider MPLS network the CE devices need not support MPLS functionality. I guess Brian may want to ask the provider why is it that they want him to get a crypto image unless they are doing IPSEC VPN of some kind over the MPLS network.

HTH

Sundar

Hi Brian,

Attached is a simple diagram for the various feature sets.

Please always use Cisco Feature Navigator to find information about platform support and Cisco IOS software image support:

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card