CCIE R&S v3 Exam

Unanswered Question
Jun 26th, 2007

Hi Guys,

What are the removed topics from the CCIE v2 exam and what are the added topics? I noticed that they added MPLS and IPv6. I also noticed that they removed Enterprise Wireless Mobility. Is this true? Because from all of the topics, I wanted to avoid the Enterprise Wireless Mobility. What else were removed and what else are added? I know all of these are listed on this website but just asking for easy reading. =)

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3.3 (3 ratings)
compsolv Tue, 06/26/2007 - 08:37

Tisk, tisk - lazy, lazy.

Other big removals I can think of off the top of my head:

OSI Model

Other big additions:

Updated Security Features

In general, the exam feels very "fresh" as far as technologies go.

Anthony J. Sequeira

TESTiT CCIE-R/S Written Prep

John Patrick Lopez Tue, 06/26/2007 - 19:33

So No mo Wireless ayt??? Ya I noticed they added DMVPN. And that.... forget it. Other additions and removal?

Wilson Samuel Wed, 06/27/2007 - 05:07

Hi All,

Thanks for discussing such important issues.

Hey, has anybody noted that DMVPN is (in my knowledge) part of any VPN strategy, specifically under the IPSec VPN strategy, however over here (in the blue print) its stated under the Frame-Relay topic!

Is it a typo? Or is it something shouldn't be there.

However on the contrary side, it has some good resemblance with that of FR (strictly in terms of Hub and Spoke toplogy)

Any advisories?

Wilson Samuel

John Patrick Lopez Wed, 06/27/2007 - 05:15

I also noticed that. I just hope that it's a typo error and they just focus on the DMVPN itself and not DMVPN in Frame-relay. And yes, maybe it is because of the Hub and Spoke topologies that's why they included it was under frame-relay. I dunno. Not that really familiar with DMVPN yet. I just hope that it is not that super duper complicated. =)

compsolv Wed, 06/27/2007 - 12:23

I agree that DMVPN would have been most appropriately listed under IPSec, but please note that IPSec is not a topic on the blueprint! So the blueprint author tucked the topic where it would fit best ? WAN ? Frame Relay. It probably would be best as a major topic under WAN on the blueprint, but keep in mind the blueprint author probably did not want to convey that this topic would be weighted heavily.

For your studies in this area, my prep materials link to the following More Information links. I would read them in the following order:

Anthony J. Sequeira

TESTiT - CCIE-R/S Written Exam Success -Without Cheating :-)

mastram4u Wed, 06/27/2007 - 16:29

I am also looking for this specific information.

Would greatly help if some one can clarify this.

compsolv Wed, 06/27/2007 - 17:34

I am not sure I fully understand what everyone is looking for here.

Here is the list of what was on the exam before June 19th, 2007:

Here is the list of what is on the exam after June 19th 2007:

Our focus now needs to be to study what is on the "new" list.

Please let me know specifically what else you might need.

Anthony J. Sequeira

mastram4u Wed, 06/27/2007 - 19:52

Here is what I could broadly make out.

1. RIPV2 is removed.

2. Enterprise wireless mobility is removed

3. MPLS and advanced IPV6 concepts are introduced.

John Patrick Lopez Wed, 06/27/2007 - 20:07

I don't know if I'll be happy with this new setup because of the MPLS and IPv6. Those two are very hard. Hehehe! Thanks for all DMVPN links guys. :)

furqan_ahmed Wed, 07/04/2007 - 07:17

I need to know about official book for CCIE R&S version 3 for written exam release. I searched but could'nt find it. please advise and suggest me the appropriate material for written exam.

Does anyone know when are they going to release the next (3rd edition) for this one?

8c-stone Thu, 07/05/2007 - 01:41

I failed the CCIE R&S Written v3.0 miserably...

The exam has changed significantly since I last sat it...And the TestKing I looked at was very out-of-date.

There was no QoS, VoIP, or Wireless...And no givens, like the old exam had..

Loads of Multicast, MPLS, IPv6, and complex routing questions, including ppp links with /31 masks (which I didnt even know you could do!)..

anybody know of a good resource that has been updated for v3.0?

I need to pass this exam ASAP...

mastram4u Thu, 07/05/2007 - 04:18

Which version of testking did you refer? When was the last update?

What did you mean by " no givens"? Was there no QOS??

How deep were the questions on Multicast, MPLS and IPV6.?

compsolv Thu, 07/05/2007 - 08:16

As has been pointed out here many times, you just cannot trust TestKing. Cisco is taking great pains to ensure their materials are inadequate.

Be careful as you talk about the exam, you do not want to violate the Non-disclosure Agreement that you signed.

I have seen the exam in Beta and in Final form and I can assure you that the blueprint is VERY accurate for what you need to study in order to pass. This includes QoS.

Here is the link to the blueprint.

It is indeed a very tough exam, but again, this blueprint does a great job showing you what to study.

I developed practice exams to help you pass if you are interested. They are accurate, and include More Information links which reference the documents the actual exam questions were written from!

Check it out at:

Anthony J. Sequeira

Kenneth Hagen Thu, 07/05/2007 - 09:49

Don't feel bad, I failed it also. I took it too soon after it came out, and was not ready for the the new material, which is why I am here looking for up to date material. I will try out NetMaster as shown in the previous post and see how it goes. It's the only place I've seen up to date study material so far.

8c-stone Thu, 07/05/2007 - 12:41

Good call re. the NDA...

Previous CCIE Writtens I found you could get 50% with just general knowledge, not this one, every question needs careful thought, and has something in it that makes you uncertain which answer is correct...There are no stupid answers which can be easily eliminated either...the writers have done a good job!

Re. NetMaster, are updates free??? And how often are updates made?

compsolv Thu, 07/05/2007 - 12:51

Yeah ? I agree with your observations on the test. There are still those moments where you have to pause and say, ?now why in the world would I know THAT!? But fortunately, those moments were few and far between.

One of the other awesome things about NetMasterClass is that the products are CONSTANTLY updated. Just this AM I removed a stale question from the database that really no longer applies and added a new question that targets a 3.0 topic head on.

We were also told that a More Information link had gone stale, so we updated that link.

I think NetMaster allows you to access for 1 full year for your initial purchase. Over that year, you will enjoy almost daily updates to the question database to keep it as accurate and as helpful as possible.

Anthony J. Sequeira

8c-stone Thu, 07/05/2007 - 14:24

Thanks, youve sold it to me, Ive purchased the product, so will keep you posted...

Have to say that my first impressions are very good, some very relevant material in it...with Good links to the source.

I hope to attempt it again in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know how it goes.

compsolv Thu, 07/05/2007 - 15:20

You can contact me directly using the DISCUSSiT Forum that we set up just for the CCIE Written Exam.

It is a nice place to see where and what changes we are making - as well as chat specifically about the written.

Anthony J. Sequeira

This Discussion