Passed CCIE R&S What to do next?

Unanswered Question
Jun 26th, 2007

Hello all,

On June 21 I passed the routing and switching lab!

Now while this is great, I will take some time (4 months) off go on holiday get some relaxation etc... but then I want to get back to the next phase.

Currently I have my ccna + ccnp + ccip + ccie r&s, so I was thinking why not go for the double!

Only the problem is.... which one!

I like a lot about security (vpn's / pix / ios featues) but on the other hand all the "strange" stuff like vpn concentrators and ids I don't think I will see them a lot myself.

Then the service provider is also nice, it matches a lot more on my R&S and I think the equipment is easy to find. (if you compare it to security) the problem with this one is that I work in a big enterprise and will miss out on a lot of real life experience.

Also I don't know if i decided to go for the security if it's wise to first do my CCSP before trying the CCIE.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jcrussell Tue, 06/26/2007 - 09:49

Congrats on passing!!!

I would say ask yourself what you really want to do in your career. For example, I want to work in the service provider arena. So after I complete my CCIE R&S, I will be starting on the CCIP and then the CCIE SP. So just determine what you are really passionate about and go for it!

Also, would you be willing to share, within the NDA of course, your experiences with the R&S lab? I am scheduled to take it in a little over a week, and I'm sure there are others who are interested. If you don't want to do it here, let me know and we can unicast. Or if you don't want to at all, it's cool.

j.vanwijngaarden Tue, 06/26/2007 - 09:58

I want to respect the NDA of course so I can't get into any technical detail about questions. However the lab exam itself was not "from another planet" so i did not get anything I would not suspected. If you just read the blueprint do enough testing labs and "understand" the technique then you will have a pretty fair change.

Also make a lot of use of the proctor, it helped me a lot.

etienne.basset Tue, 06/26/2007 - 23:13

congrats! as you have already done CCIP, you should go for CCIE SP. There's a common background with R&S but the MPLS part is really interesting (and MPLS technos make sense also in big enterprise scenario).

Despite this common background there's _a lot_ to study.

And complex scenarii are so easy to study for no cost with dynagen :)

And today the exam (at least written) is new and has not been polluted by braindumps etc...

which is quite a good thing for it's credibility.

But first yeah take some holiday you deserve it :))

ps: passed R/S last year, passed ccie sp written in april and now working for the lab :D

j.vanwijngaarden Fri, 07/06/2007 - 14:14

May I ask what kind of study material you used for doing labs?

I used internetworkexpert for the R&S lab and was very pleased with this....

eriknixon Fri, 07/06/2007 - 19:51

Im curious.You just got your CCIE, which is awesome Congrats. That is my ultimate goal but First i am building my foundation with the CCNP. I have 2 more tests to complete it. How many years experience had you had with cisco prior to attempting the R&S Lab

j.vanwijngaarden Sat, 07/07/2007 - 08:13

I really had to think about this question :)

Let me see. I'm now 26 for 4 days.. I started working at a Service Provider when I was 19.

So that's 6 to 7 years. Where most of it was in networks. (also some unix/linux)

I also am lucky that my current job gives me a lot of freedom (much hours I can spent on studying) and that I had all time access to a complete lab.

alsaqr72 Sun, 07/08/2007 - 16:05

congrats first

I will advice to go to the Voice track next, the reason is well known, voice is the big topic in the few next years, and it will be great field, especially if its from Cisco.

This Discussion