cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISO Recovery

jclemmons
Level 1
Level 1

I have an older 3620 (11.1(20)AA2) on which the IOS has been wiped. I tried a xmodem download of a very basic image captured from a working 3640 however upon boot the 3620 displayed "device does not contain a valid magic number" "cannot open flash" "cannot determine first file name on device "flash:" ". The 3620's console session indicated everything copied completely and displayed no errors.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

Thanks,

John.

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi John

Can you try formating your flash and reload the ios code back onto the flash ?

regds

CSCO10892433
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, jclemmons

The ios you captured from 3640 router is not compatible with 3620 router. To recover your router, you need to download the ios image whose name begins with "c3620".

HTH

SSLIN

I have since discovered the 3620 wil not take a 3640 image. Thanks for the additional heads up. Now to lay my hand on a 3620 image.

Work Work Work

John

Try formating flash memory ,then upload IOS on to 3620 router,otherwise help yourself to get compatible 3620 IOS if you can get, then upload IOS to formatted flash memory. After doing all this if 3620 router starting working, it is ok.If error "device does not contain a valid magic number" comes again,ensure that flash memory is ok or not,because this message implies that router is not able to read IOS from flash memory.

Also kindly check the compatiblity of IOS of 3640 that you are uploading onto the 3620 router.

kindly rate it,if it works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco