cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520 Not sending Syslog Messages

sholley
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 5520's setup in failover configuration. Was running the 7.2 code and just upgraded to 8.0 code and have a problem with getting syslog messages out of the box. I can see messages in ASDM and have setup syslog to show debugging messages. I have configured the syslog server and made sure that I can access it form the ASA, but It is not sending the syslogs out of the box to the syslog server. This configuratoin was working but out of the blue stopped. I have failover logging enabled, and I see some messages comming from the standby unit, but not from the primary. I have failed over the units, taken them out of failover, and nothing seems to come out of the 5520.

anyone have any suggestions, I am at my wits end trying to figure out why it is not sending to the syslog server, but i can see them in ASDM.

3 Replies 3

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

The integrated Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager (ASDM) provides a world-class Web-based management interface that greatly simplifies the deployment, ongoing configuration, and monitoring of a single Cisco ASA 5500 Series appliance-without requiring any software (other than a standard Web browser and Java Plug-In) to be installed on an administrator's computer. Intelligent setup and VPN wizards provide easy integration into any network environment, and informative monitoring features, including a dashboard and real-time syslog viewer, provide vital device and network health status and event monitoring at a glance. Alternatively, administrators can remotely configure, monitor, and troubleshoot their Cisco ASA 5500 Series appliances using a command-line interface (CLI). Secure CLI access is available using several methods, including Secure Shell (SSHv2) Protocol, Telnet over IPSec, and out-of-band access through a console port.

rhosford
Level 1
Level 1

Did you try logging trap debugging?

If the original poster would post the set of lines at the beginning of the output of show log it might give us a clue as to what is going on. It would also be helpful if he would post the output of show run | include logg

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card