Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp password

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

hello

suppose i need to add a new switch to an existing network, but no one knows the vtp password. is there a way to know it? or should i reconfigure it in all switches?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

On one of your switches do this:

Switch#show vtp password

VTP Password:xxxx

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The best situation is to know the VTP password. So changing it during the next maintainance window will be the best solution.

As a quick and dirty workaround you could copy the vlan.dat file from an existing switch in your production environment into the new switch in a lab environment, as it contains the VTP config. Then do a manual cleanup BEFORE you add the switch to the existing network. Make sure you follow the guidelines described in the "Configuring VTP" section of the appropriate configuration guide when adding the new switch to your network.

Regards, Martin

Martin, could you elaborate on the sentence "Then do a manual cleanup BEFORE you add the switch" ?

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

On one of your switches do this:

Switch#show vtp password

VTP Password:xxxx

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

thanks all

ok mohammed, but this seems to be a new introduced command, because in my current (old)switches: cisco WS-C3548-XL ( Version 12.0(5)WC10) this command does not exist.

CS-BR-EG-03#sho vtp ?

counters VTP statistics

status VTP domain status

Hi,

Ok, you are right, i tried it on one of my old 3548-XL and it didn't work, but you can do the following:

3500#more flash:vlan.dat

and you can find the password in the second line of the output (note that the output will contain a lot of scrambled strings).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

that was a good info.....rated

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

Thank you my friend, i really enjoy supporting this forum with persons like your self :)

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

when i do a service password encryption? does the vtp password become a victim?

Hi,

No, the service password encryption affects the passwords saved on the startup/running configuration, and has nothing to do with the info stored in the vlan.dat file.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card