cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Company without Smartnet support

rolandshum
Level 1
Level 1

Can a company without Smartnet contracts on their Pix download software updates? I have never worked in a place where I didn't have a login to Cisco.com I just assume the software updates are available to everyone with the hardware.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Roland

In general the answer is that to download software you need a service contract (Smartnet). Just having the hardware is not enough to be able to download software. There is one exception that I am aware of that might help you out. In many of the announcements of security vulnerabilities there is a section that describes how to get updates to rectify the vulnerability. There typically is a paragraph saying that customers without a service contract may contact TAC and request software to address the vulnerability. You might research vulnerabilities, find one that includes the PIX and contact the TAC to see if you can get software based on that.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Just to add another comment - a security update will only ever get you a minor release, for example if you have a PIX running 7.0.1 and a security update is needed then you might be able to get an update to 7.0.6. You wouldn't ever be able to get a feature upgrade this way (i.e. to 7.1).

You can always buy a one-off upgrade but in general it's almost always cheaper buying a smartnet contract. (It's a *lot* cheaper than buying a new pix if you have a failure)

HTH

Andrew.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: