cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design recommendations for Dual BGP MPLS network

bgibson
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to come up with a way to properly implement a dual MPLS to the branch network. I would like to use both networks simultaneously. Most of my traffic goes from the head ends to the branches.

Most branches have 2 networks. A voice network and a data network. What I am thinking of doing is advertising 1 network to each MPLS cloud and conditionally advertising the other network in the case of a network outage. This should allow me to utilized both networks.

Does this seem like a good idea? Would enhanced object tracking be a better way of doing that? Can you use EOT with BGP advertisements? Can anyone think of a better way to utilize both networks at the same time?

Attached is a basic diagram.

5 Replies 5

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

One advantage of dual MPLS networks vs. using an Internet option is the ability to retain end-to-end, bi-directional QoS (quality of service) markings and support. This may be difficult or impossible to achieve across random topology. Another advantage of a dual MPLS network is the need to support modern streaming and voice applications.

jkillion
Level 1
Level 1

Rather than a conditional advertisement, I would use AS prepending. Have one router advertise the data subnet w/ no prepends and the other router advertises it with 5 (and vice versa for the voice). You could also use MED if you are peering with the same provider to achieve similar results.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to read up on that.

The two clouds are from different providers.

I concur with jkillion. AS-PATH Prepending is definitely your best bet.

quistn
Level 1
Level 1

advertise both subnets out across both carriers using eBGP. Redistribute eBGP into your IGP (i use EIGRP) on your WAN edge.

out of your head-end, advertise only your needed network (I simply need to advertise a 0.0.0.0 out of the head-end for my remote locations).

Hopefully you have a L3 LAN presence; if so, you now have two equal cost paths for both subnets.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card