Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Messaging Issues

Hi,

We have a Unity Server configured for Unified Messaging, the main problem we are facing is that for some reason, all the voicemail messages are being sent to each subscriber outlook but the voicemail dissapears from exchange hence the subscribers cannot hear the voicemails through their phones, we need to disable this feature since not all the subscribers have access to speakers for hearing their voicemail messages my questions are the following:

1- How do we configure cisco unity for having the voicemails in each subscriber outlook but having a copy of the voicemail saved on each exchange account so they can hear the voicemail even though it has been delivered to the subscribers' outlook.

2- If this is not possible then how do we specify or change the way Unity is configured so the subscribers without speakers can have their voicemail as voicemail only insteado of unified messaging to avoid downloading each voicemail to their accounts.

Any help is appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Carlos -

It sounds like you have Outlook rules, either configured Exchange server side or Outlook client side to move voicemail messages to a PST, private folder, public folder etc. Is this the case? If so, this is not a function of the Unity application but of your email environment. Let us know if you have any such rules in place and we can help you further from there. Also, your subscribers' message waiting lights are getting turned off when the messages are moved in this manner.

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Actually we do not have any kind of rules for exchange, however I found out that the messages are being sent to the subscribers' inbox only, it means that for some reason all the voicemails are being sent as emails also, I found it out in DDTS is bascially a bug in software. It stands for Distributed Defect Tracking System.

Another thing that I've seen cause this behavior is having a Unity enabled account forwarded to another email address. Obviously, this forwards email and voicemail in a Unified Messaging environment and therefore voicemail is never available from the phone. You can check this in AD -> User account properties -> Exchange General -> Delivery Options.

But I have no idea about the delivery options that I have to set up in there, I mean, I don't know which accout do I have to use for having the messages being delivered in there as well.

Any help is appreciated.

BTW, I forgot to mention that we are using POP3 accounts instead of MAPI so all the messages are being sent to the TPS.

Please advise if there is a way for having this feature working for POP3 accounts.

Thanks in advance

Hi Carlos -

Yep, the default action for POP3 is to delete the messages from the server side. Here is a doc that may help - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011507931033.aspx

Caution though, you will need to have a plan for message management on the Exchange server, i.e. how long you want to keep messages on the server. This will depend on your server's storage capacity or if you have an archive solution in place.

Ginger

Thanks for your reply,

I think I will have to move on all my user accounts to MAPI accounts.

Carlos.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: